The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Stanley Kaye-Parry, Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Acknown

This man was a Dublin accountant (DOB 21/11/89), who joined the R. Dublin Fusiliers, probably in 1914. It seems that he was initially with the 7th Battalion and arrived at Sulva on 9/8/15. London Gazette has him commissioned from LSgt to 2Lt in Sep 15 (in the field?) and at some stage he then became an Accounts Officer, rising to Capt after the war. It also seems (MIC - 'S K Parry') that at some stage he transferred to the home-based 3rd Battalion, so I haven't discovered whether he followed the 7th to Salonika, Egypt, Palestine and the Western Front or not. 

Any help would be gratefully received.

Acknown

He is in 'Pals at Suvla Bay' on page 222.

Parry.jpg

Edited by museumtom

He was a member of Messrs Kaye-Parry and Ross, Engineers, Dublin. He is also in 'Pals at Suvla Bay' on page 222.

museumtom - Excellent, thank you. Can anyone find him from late 1915 onwards?

Acknown

To clarify details, he was known as Stanley K (or Kaye as a middle name) Parry in WW1. So we are looking for 2Lt or Lt S K Parry, and where he served late 1915 to 1918. Nothing that I can find on-line and war diary for 7th Battalion is not available for free. I'll call it up when next at the NMA. The LG doesn't give battalions.

Does anyone have additional information?

• 7 years later...

The Corps of Military Accountants is an interesting place for him to end up, but a good billet for a university educated young man like him, possibly looking for somewhere to continue serving when the RDF were slated for disbandment, although that depends on dates.  The CMA was specifically formed to sort out what was deemed the mess of Army expenditure during the war, but with its perceived long handled screwdriver approach (unfairly) it was viewed with jaundiced eye by those it audited and as soon as the books were balanced to the satisfaction of HM Treasury it was disbanded.

image via websearch.

IMG_7012.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Apparently the Pals (this particular lot, D Coy, 7th Batt, 10th Division) all volunteered as privates; after the slaughter at Suvla, the survivors were asked by the 10th Division commander, Bryan Mahon, to volunteer as officers. (Attached, from his foreword to The Pals at Suvla.) 

I was waiting for the book to be available at the Internet Archive; it failed to appear so I went ahead and wrote a ghost story… got the month wrong, but meh… image.png.a7fc120b62f79798a29684d8c223b69e.png

There's something particularly tragic about young lads whose photos showed them in their cricket caps… and the ones who looked as if they weren't taking the whole thing too seriously…

Screenshot2024-10-22at15_21_00.png.7d9cd1df95df14261b09a3a09563129b.pngScreenshot2024-10-22at15_23_40.png.54f88c2d15da3bfc992d421eae95f46c.pngScreenshot2024-10-22at15_33_29.png.4167482e48b06d6abc4ea38e77d2e4e8.png

2 minutes ago, Sinabhfuil said:

There's something particularly tragic about young lads whose photos showed them in their cricket caps… and the ones who looked as if they weren't taking the whole thing too seriously…

Screenshot2024-10-22at15_21_00.png.7d9cd1df95df14261b09a3a09563129b.pngScreenshot2024-10-22at15_23_40.png.54f88c2d15da3bfc992d421eae95f46c.pngScreenshot2024-10-22at15_33_29.png.4167482e48b06d6abc4ea38e77d2e4e8.png

I agree.  It’s a pity that they were not recognised as potential officers before the slaughter at Suvla. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

It's a pity someone forgot to send artillery and ammunition to Suvla! And to fill the water bottles before sending them in! In fact, it's a pity anyone went along with Churchill's lunatic plan at all! Or maybe that they didn't suggest to Churchill - "You planned this cunning wheeze, why don't you go along and lead it?"

27 minutes ago, Sinabhfuil said:

It's a pity someone forgot to send artillery and ammunition to Suvla! And to fill the water bottles before sending them in! In fact, it's a pity anyone went along with Churchill's lunatic plan at all! Or maybe that they didn't suggest to Churchill - "You planned this cunning wheeze, why don't you go along and lead it?"

Interestingly Kitchener played a large part in it too.  Churchill was more fixated on the naval aspect apparently.

Kitchener seems to have done a total about-turn, from "No no no, millions could be killed" (1914) to "More shells! Men are more disposable than shells!" (1915) (I paraphrase)

19 minutes ago, Sinabhfuil said:

Kitchener seems to have done a total about-turn, from "No no no, millions could be killed" (1914) to "More shells! Men are more disposable than shells!" (1915) (I paraphrase)

Neither man came out of the affair girded with Laurels.  But then neither were they buried in the mud on the Gallipoli peninsula either…

images via the web.

IMG_7019.jpeg

IMG_7018.jpeg

IMG_7020.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE