The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

6th Cheshires - a new history coming soon.

John_Hartley

Congratulations!

Bernard

Yes, what Bernard said. :) 

John, I look forward to reading it as my uncle 268047 Private Samuel Colclough was with the 1/6th Cheshire's and was killed with them on 26th July 1917.  Do you have any information on the event of 26th July 1917.  Alan

Alan

On 26 July, the Battalion was well away from the front, having a rest period with some light training, at St Jan Ter Biezen (to the west of Poperinge). No mention of any injuries during training.

I see from the burial concentration report that, originally, he was noted as being attached to 234 Coy, Royal Engineers but this note is later crossed out. I suspect he was, indeed, actually with the engineers when he was killed. Perhaps you should have a nosy at their diary and see if there's a mention.

John

Edited by John_Hartley

John, I've look at their War diary and it simply just states 1 attached killed 5 or wounded.  There is nothing in George Bleazard Cowpe 'Memories and Letters or A Tommy at Ypres Walter Williamson.  I was hoping that you my have come across something whilst doing your research.   Alan

That seems to be the confirmation. He must be the "1 attached". Presumably a casualty of random shellfire.

Edited by John_Hartley

• 4 months later...

Just a quick update - Pen & Sword tell me today that the book has now gone to print  (which means tomorrow someone will contact me with fascinating information). Copies should be actually available around the end of this month.

• 5 weeks later...

My  authors copies arrived this morning from P & S which, presumably, means books should be starting to make their way to folk who pre-ordered (that's probably all three of you).

John,  

i received an email from Pen & Sword on Wednesday asking if my book had been received and was received in good condition.  

I wrote back stating not received, they wrote backb it seems that the book only want down to the warehouse that morning.

Hi John,

Fantastic news for you! I have a small story that may interest you. Both me and my mum ordered a Passchendaele 100 Poppy Pin, and mine was dedicated to Sergeant Harry Jones MM. This is his story as copied from the Stockport 1914-18 Webpage.

"Harry was the eldest son of Mr & Mrs James H Jones, 2 Little Egerton Street, Heaton Norris. He had been born locally, within the parish of Christ Church, and he was a member of the congregation. He worked at Cocker's Leather Works, Brinksway and, in his spare time, had been a lieutenant in the Baker Street Boys' Brigade.

He volunteered for the army in September 1914 and went overseas in January 1915, probably joining the Battalion as part of draft on the 29th. In June 1916, he was wounded and did not recover and rejoin the Battalion until May 1917. 

The local press, reporting his death, said that he had been awarded the Military Medal for an act of gallantry earlier in July 1917. The Battalion History does not name him specifically but it does include the following account for the 5 July:-

"In the early hours of July 5th a party of four officers and 133 other ranks (including ten R.E.s) raided the Caliban Trench and support trench, which were situated opposite the Hill Top Sector, Ypres. The object was to kill and capture as many of the enemy as possible, to destroy the enemy's defences, and secure information. In spite of strenuous opposition all objectives were achieved and information of considerable value obtained. Dugouts were destroyed and five prisoners taken. Two Military Crosses and four Military Medals were awarded for this raid."

You may not have come across Harry Jones himself during your time researching, but you may well have come across the raid in which his MM was won. Harry Jones was reported as missing on the 31st July 1917, and the military authorities confirmed that he must be dead in April 1918. He is commemorated on Panel 19 (I believe, if not 19-22) on the Menin Gate, this is a photo of the name I took and also his CWGC page:

image.png

image.jpeg

HH.

I think John will know about that story - you copied it from his website!  But I found it interesting as I hadn't read that particular one!

Regards.

Reg

Oh haha!! Well i'm glad you enjoyed it!

John, 

the book has arrived, I look forward to read

3 hours ago, Harvey H said:

Oh haha!! Well i'm glad you enjoyed it!

Yes, it's a very interesting site.  It contains a few people my wife has been researching - and one of her relatives in the Northumberland Fusiliers who died of his wounds.

Hope you enjoyed your trip to Tyne Cot and don't worry where you stand or there would never be any crosses, wreaths, poppies left by those who wish to remember the fallen.

7 hours ago, Harvey H said:

You may not have come across Harry Jones himself during your time researching,

As mentioned, "More Than a Name" is my website and was the starting point for this book. Having researched so many 6th Cheshires during that project years back, I knew I had to write a fuller story. FWIW, Harry Jones gets a couple of mentions in the book - photo with mention of the MM action and a letter written to the widow of a mate saying he had been in charge of the funeral party.

Don Regiano - you'll be glad to know your photos have come out well. Once again, thanks for allowing me use of them.

John

Thank you mate, was an innocent post that i did, wasn't meant to offend anyone. It was a great ceremony and I throughly 'enjoyed' it if that's the word to use.

This book seems like a very good one, and one i would purchase but none of my 5 relatives served in the Cheshires!

Absolutely no offence taken.

It's ten years since I completed the research and had the website designed. I still get a buzz when I hear that someone has come across it. So, thanks for reading it

John

3 minutes ago, John_Hartley said:

Absolutely no offence taken.

It's ten years since I completed the research and had the website designed. I still get a buzz when I hear that someone has come across it. So, thanks for reading it

John

No mate was on about a picture i posted of me at the Tyne Cot and one particular user wasn't a fan. 

Yes it's a very good website you have John and the book looks to be brilliant!

John - am delighted you were able to use the photos.  I look forward to reading the book on my return from the Somme.  If there's anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

HH  I don't think you need worry.  I thought you looked the part for the occasion and it certainly didn't occur to me (and others) that there was anything wrong.  I am reminded of a thread elsewhere on this forum which spoke of less than acceptable behaviour from school trips to Tyne Cot.  I've yet to visit there myself but in my other visits to the western front, fortunately, I have not come across anything to cause distress - just the opposite in fact.  I'm looking forward to my return there in the very near future.

Regards.

Reg

Understood Reg, not going to hijack Johns thread, but i've seen some awful awful behavior, as well as dangerous antics. Well done on the book John, do you collect anything relating to the 6th Cheshires?

Harvey - no, I don't collect militaria at all. I even donated Grandad's medals to the Manchesters' regimental museum, rather than keeping them.

Edited by John_Hartley

Understood mate, it's not everyone cup of tea, but at least you'll know your relatives medals will be looked after!