The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help required to identify a lost book...

clunt

A bit of a long shot but I thought I would ask the question in case somebody can identify a book from my description.

I have somehow "lost" a book , it is basically letters written home by an artillery officer describing his actions fighting on the Somme. It is very descriptive and I have visited several places he mentions  finding remains of the gun emplacements he describes. This was in the Vaux area. I cant recall the name of the book or the author so replacing my lost copy is going to be hard.

Does anybody recognise the book from the above brief description??

Many Thanks

You say he was on the Somme but isn't Vaux in the Verdun sector ?

I think it may be 'Field Guns in France' by Neil Fraser-Tytler.

Edited by Black Maria

2 hours ago, Black Maria said:

I think it may be 'Field Guns in France' by Neil Fraser-Tytler.

Almost certainly. This book has references to Vaux( or Vaux Wood)-or,more particularly, Vaux-sur-Somme (where the Red Baron came down) rather than Fort De Vaux at Verdun. Book was republished  by Tom Donovan a few years back.

(Butler:Plain Impressions has no references to Vaux)

Plenty of copies on Tinternet for about a tenner

Yep thats it! Field guns in France!!!!

Thank you so much for your replies.. Ive been pulling whats left of my hair out trying to find my copy (an old print version) and remember the name. Think I will get myself a reprint and hope the original turns up somewhere. 

Once again Thank you!!!

I see an original is only selling for £12 ( or best offer ) on e-bay, anyway any excuse for showing a dust jacket =

field guns in france forum.jpeg

I have a first edition but without dust-jacket which I picked up for a few dollars at a sale at the King George V high school in Hong Kong, of all places. It is what I believe they call in the trade "slightly foxed" but as it is dedicated "To the glorious memory of the Red Fox Army" that is quite appropriate. Quite gung-ho as I recall but enjoyable.

Cheers Martin B

1 hour ago, Black Maria said:

I see an original is only selling for £12 ( or best offer ) on e-bay, anyway any excuse for showing a dust jacket =

No excuse needed for such a fine jacket.

2 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

No excuse needed for such a fine jacket.

Very true !

Ordered an original one from abe books for £10.. no dust jacket though.. which is a pity as that is a handsome dust jacket but then it wouldn't be £10  if it did have it...

Looking forward to reading it again, as I recall it was rather gung ho describing shooting at the hun rather like it was a game shoot.. but as I intend to revisit the locations again it will be handy to have

15 hours ago, clunt said:

Ordered an original one from abe books for £10.. no dust jacket though.. which is a pity as that is a handsome dust jacket but then it wouldn't be £10  if it did have it...

Looking forward to reading it again, as I recall it was rather gung ho describing shooting at the hun rather like it was a game shoot.. but as I intend to revisit the locations again it will be handy to have

Well done, always best to have the original edition especially when it's as cheap as a reprint ! . This is the earlier incarnation of the book printed in 1922=

lancs lads.jpeg