The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Books: Germans at 3rd Ypres (Polygon Wood)

WilliamRev

I am interested in the Germans at the Battle of Polygon Wood, 3rd Ypres. I have Jack Sheldon's The German Army at Passchendaele, and Peter Liddle's Passchendaele in Perspective. Are there any other books, in English, relating to the German forces at Polygon Wood/Third Ypres that I have missed?

Thanks, William

Edited by WilliamRev

I have written a bit about it in my book "Halfweg Menin Road en Ypernstrasse. Gheluvelt 1914-1918" (at least about the southern part of the wood as that is closest to Geluveld). Unfortunately for you, it is only in Dutch.

Jan

5 hours ago, AOK4 said:

I have written a bit about it in my book "Halfweg Menin Road en Ypernstrasse. Gheluvelt 1914-1918" (at least about the southern part of the wood as that is closest to Geluveld). Unfortunately for you, it is only in Dutch.

Jan

Alas, I know even less Dutch than German. :)

It is the German units opposite the British Fifth Army at Zonnebeke 26-28 September 1917 that I am particularly interested in (rather than those opposite Plumer's Second Army, many of them Australians, at Polygon Wood itself).

William

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/03/2017 at 18:35, WilliamRev said:

I am interested in the Germans at the Battle of Polygon Wood, 3rd Ypres. I have Jack Sheldon's The German Army at Passchendaele, and Peter Liddle's Passchendaele in Perspective. Are there any other books, in English, relating to the German forces at Polygon Wood/Third Ypres that I have missed?

Thanks, William

I have started reading Jack Sheldon's book, and it is very good indeed. But I would still be interested to hear from anyone who has thoughts on other books relevant to the Germans at 3rd Ypres/Polygon Wood that might help me.

Many thanks, William

Thanks David. Looks as though I have all the relevant books.

William