The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

An Infant in Arms

Black Maria

This post may only interest my fellow collectors but it may be useful to those who purchase an original copy of this book in future . I recently acquired a jacketed

copy of this book and I noticed the illustrations differed slightly from the unjacketed copy I already own. In one copy the frontispiece shows a close up of the author

( the same photo shown on the dj cover of the seventies reprint) and it is titled 'frontispiece Graham Greenwell' , there also is an illustration of the author on page

302 showing him in Italy in 1918 and titled ' Graham Greenwell 1918 ( facing page 312 ) '. In the other copy the photo of Greenwell in Italy is used as the frontis

with the same title ( including the wrong page number ) and the proper frontis picture does not appear at all. The contents pages are different in both books ,

so it was a deliberate change rather than a mistake by the printers . It is also interesting to note that there are only 305 pages in the book so the titling

on the 1918 photo is a mistake in both books.

inf in arm 002.JPG

Edited by Black Maria

I'd check my copy, John, but unfortunately I had a heart attack yesterday so can't look until tomorrow (all being well).

Sorry to hear that, DJC. You take care now.

Thanks, Steven. It seems to be a minor one. I knew I should have stayed in bed yesterday. It's moving all these bl***y books.

1 hour ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

I'd check my copy, John, but unfortunately I had a heart attack yesterday so can't look until tomorrow (all being well).

I am really sorry to hear that Alan , all my best wishes to you for a speedy recovery .

I hope a speedy recovery is very much in order !!!

Thanks all. Angiogram tomorrow so another sleepless night covered in wires. At least my wife has brought in my glasses and Malcolm Brown's "Scapa Flow". I suppose she could have brought in the Greenwell but it would probably get swept up during one of their frenzied cleaning rounds!

Not worth risking it , mind you if it did go A.W.O.L at least I've got a spare one now you could have ( minus the dj ) :) , all the best Alan hope it all goes well

and you're back home soon :thumbsup:

Edited by Black Maria

Alan, just seen this. sending you my best wishes.

My copy of the Greenwell has the left hand image in it. Jacketed and inscribed!

12 minutes ago, other ranker said:

My copy of the Greenwell has the left hand image in it. Jacketed and inscribed!

Nice !

On 09/03/2017 at 18:09, Black Maria said:

Nice !

Back home again, thank goodness. The Angiogram led to six (6) stents being put in . I can now officially sit and contemplate the books for two weeks. Sadly having spent my life being drug free I now have five different ones a day. Not sure if this gives me carte blanche to stuff myself with double cheeseburgers with extra clotted cream or not.

Back to Greenwell. My copy is the same as your right hand image with the close up portrait. Are the jackets the same on both issues I wonder? Mine is cream paper with green text.

Dear Alan,

Six stents sounds as if it was a serious bit of business.

That sort of thing tends to focus the mind and put one's collecting in a somewhat different perspective...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

1 hour ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear Alan,

Six stents sounds as if it was a serious bit of business.

That sort of thing tends to focus the mind and put one's collecting in a somewhat different perspective...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

I must admit it all seemed rather pointless for the first 24hr, but once I'd figured out how to access the net from my hospital bed it was all back to normal.

Just come across your thread.I'll raise a glass of healthy red wine to your recovery and keeping taking the tablets.

very best wishes

David

9 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Back home again, thank goodness. The Angiogram led to six (6) stents being put in . I can now officially sit and contemplate the books for two weeks. Sadly having spent my life being drug free I now have five different ones a day. Not sure if this gives me carte blanche to stuff myself with double cheeseburgers with extra clotted cream or not.

Back to Greenwell. My copy is the same as your right hand image with the close up portrait. Are the jackets the same on both issues I wonder? Mine is cream paper with green text.

Glad to hear you're back home Alan and 'officially' resting . My jacket is the same as your copy , it does seem strange that they changed the frontis picture,

maybe there was a copyright issue which they only discovered after some had been printed ? Anyway I hope you have got your feet up and are resisting

the cheesburgers :)

DJC

Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery. I'd probably still go easy on the cheeseburgers if I was you!

I'm no collector but yours and Black Maria's frequent exchanges about books always make for fascinating reading and I look forward to many more

David

7 hours ago, David Ridgus said:

DJC

Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery. I'd probably still go easy on the cheeseburgers if I was you!

I'm no collector but yours and Black Maria's frequent exchanges about books always make for fascinating reading and I look forward to many more

David

Thanks David. I'm definitely feeling a lot better. I just need to find a few good books to make my recovery complete. 

Apologies Black Maria for rather high jacking your thread on what is a very fine War memoir. It's prompted me to re-read it now.

Not at all Alan, I'm just glad you are on the mend . I was thinking of re-reading it myself but I had better stick to the un-read ones for the next

twenty years :)