The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Flying Corps Insignia

eddsy

Hi

I have a trio of ww1 medals to a dispatch rider from the RFC. Documents, photo etc and some insignia, RFC field cap. I have attached a picture of the insignia would someone be able to identify what they are?

Cheers

Edds

IMG_8048.JPG

IMG_8049.JPG

IMG_8050.JPG

1 hour ago, eddsy said:

Hi

I have a trio of ww1 medals to a dispatch rider from the RFC. Documents, photo etc and some insignia, RFC field cap. I have attached a picture of the insignia would someone be able to identify what they are?

Cheers

Edds

Top - Overseas Service Chevrons (note article is somewhat dodgy on the WW1 chevrons, but gives a good over view):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overseas_Service_Chevron

Bottom - RFC "mud guard" - eg:

3cbbd1c1164942a585150a2335066606.jpg

Middle - no idea.

Edited by Andrew Upton

I think the middle one is a lanyard worn round the top of the arm, over the shoulder. You often see them on RFA and ASC personnel, usually round the left shoulder.

Ron

5 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

I think the middle one is a lanyard worn round the top of the arm, over the shoulder. You often see them on RFA and ASC personnel, usually round the left shoulder.

Ron

Look at the scale - I thought that too originally, but it's tiny compared to normal lanyards.

Good point Andrew. I don't know how stretchy they were, but I still think it is feasible, in the absence of other suggestions. Might it be a lanyard to secure a whistle to a pocket button?

Ron

Thanks Andrew and Ron :-) Any idea what an RFC field cap and RFC insignia are worth on their own. I wont be splitting it from the medals and swb etc but just wondered what they are worth. The recipient was a dispatch rider and ended up with a gun shot wound and there is a cigarette case which has clearly taken a round or shrapnel which according to the family saved his life.