The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

New Book Ideas

Biltea

Hi there,

I'm planning to start writing a new book on the Great War soon  - hopefully something original! I produced a book in 2015  -  Morland Corps Commander - and this one will probably be about the Western Front also, possibly concerning a senior officer or an action.

However, before I dive into the archives, I thought it might be useful to canvas opinions on this forum. Would any of you worthies have any suggestions for an interesting and useful new Great War book, please? All ideas welcome.

Thanks, Biltea

ps -  apologies if this thread already exists, but if it does, I'm afraid I failed to find it

I would suggest a book that looks at how certain events/situations are reported by different parties.

For example I was researching a front line handover from the Australians to the Manchester Regiment in October 1917.  After reading the reports I was more confused than when I started.  The only thing they agreed on  was that it had not gone smoothly.  The same is true of reports on Gallipoli.

I guess you could call it a "study of shifting the blame".

Good luck with whatever book you write.

Bill

No useful ideas for a book, I'm afraid, but is your volume on Morland still available? It's not listed in Amazon or Bookfinder.

My fourth book is due out at the end of June. There is a sort of common theme to them - in that they are all subjects I was particularly interested in before deciding to write a book about them. I can't offer better advice than write something you'll be enthusiastic about.

On 3/10/2017 at 14:35, Biltea said:

Hi there,

I'm planning to start writing a new book on the Great War soon  - hopefully something original! I produced a book in 2015  -  Morland Corps Commander - and this one will probably be about the Western Front also, possibly concerning a senior officer or an action.

However, before I dive into the archives, I thought it might be useful to canvas opinions on this forum. Would any of you worthies have any suggestions for an interesting and useful new Great War book, please? All ideas welcome.

Thanks, Biltea

ps -  apologies if this thread already exists, but if it does, I'm afraid I failed to find it

Gentlemen

Thanks for your helpful contributions.

Paul G - I have a few spare copies of my Morland book left. If you would like to pm me, we can discuss - Bill