The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

hathitrust.org Mespot books online

James A Pratt III

onhathitrust.org they have online the following books on the Mesopotamian campaign:

The Campaign in Mesopotamia 4 vols F.J. Moberly the official history

My Campaign in Mesopotamia Maj Gen Sir Charles Townshend "charlie the man's " memoirs has a little too much "My Campaign" problem

With the MT in Mesopotamia F.W. Leland trucking in Mespot

Mesopotamian Commission report on what went wrong in 1915-1916

also:

Medicial Services: Casualties and Medical Statistics of the Great war TJ Mitchell

It'd be great if we in the UK could view the WW1 era material the hathi trust have scanned, sadly we can't.

I have just been able to open

"Medicial Services: Casualties and Medical Statistics of the Great war TJ Mitchell"  

and

With the MT in Mesopotamia F.W. Leland* 

without any problem except for having to reduce the words before the search recognised the book (eg I had to remove F W Leland *).

CGM

• 3 months later...

Dear All,

Apropos "With the MT in Mesopotamia", I have the medals of one of the Ford Van Coy (1024 Burma) officers, attd ASC - Lieut John Patrick O'Shea.

He was one of the few officers to be decorated in the later Kurdistan campaign (MiD)...

GSM_small.jpg.c2d62356ab12298987fac925fe6a7047.jpg

595ff92d1ad58_Calcutta1910.jpg.ee88812fc1b8e3530806b51936ea0b6b.jpg

595ff94077c32_JohnOSheainlaterlife.jpg.2db4a3f650519dc5398ef079760f0a93.jpg

Kindest regards,

Kim.

I suspect Maureene will provide a good listing of Mespot books on Archive.org in due course. May I add one that I find both very informative and well-written?

Lt-Col. L.J.Hall: The Inland Water Transport in Mesopotamia.  (London, Constable and Co.,1921)   

An excellent administrative history of the very large Empire effort to force control of the Tigris up to Baghdad post-Kut. Full of "good" information, loss of excellent pics. of all the boats involved-mainly shallow draught paddle steamers from around the Empire. Lists of names give, unusually, service numbers for ORs. I used the book for work on a local casualty and was fascinated by the organisational effort to support the land campaign. It was obviously a professional report done for the Royal Engineers and published subsequently-but it is an excellent piece of work (So Thanks to University of Toronto and Google for making it available)

Edited by Guest

There are many online books available about Mesopotamia in WW1, see the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Mesopotamia Campaign, section Historical books online

https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Mesopotamia_Campaign#Historical_books_online

There is more about IWT in

"Inland Waterways and Docks, Royal Engineers in War Time, with special reference to the mystery port of Richborough (Lecture & Discussion)" by Captain A E Battle, RE  Proceedings of the Victorian Institute of Engineers 1923-1924, pages 104-116. Includes Inland Water Transport in Mesopotamia, and brief mention of other theatres of war. Melbourne University Digital Collection. (Click on the link)

Cheers
Maureen