The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1907 bayonet markings

Porteous

I have just acquitted a p1907 bayonet ( and SMLE) for demonstration purposes and cannot find details of the unit marking in the pommel. The bayonet is marked Wilkinson Pall mall and has the usual bend test and WD markings including two inspection marks. On the pommel is " BTN.OTC"  I can find no details about this marking whatsoever. Any help with this, or the other marks, much appreciated.

DSC00083.JPG

DSC00066.JPG

DSC00073.JPG

The source for SS's information, which he does not provide, is no secret, but the official Instructions for Armourers - I don't know which version he is using but mine is the 1912 as "Reprinted with amendments, 1916", p.190, and you can download your own version from:

http://access.bl.uk/item/viewer/ark:/81055/vdc_100003075218.0x000002#ark:/81055/vdc_100003075231.0x00000d 

This version of the Instructions, by the way, has all the (then) current OTC stamps in it, so it is a useful edition to have to hand for those who like unit markings on British bayonets. Credit due where credit is owed - this link was brought to my attention by Craig (ss002d6252) at: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/225643-instructions-for-armourers-1912reprinted-with-amendments/

SS would normally be hot on the trail of those 'reissue' marks but I guess even he is confounded by the variety here! NOT my subject at all, but I would add that this is one of the late war issues, as shown by the 'WILKINSON / PALL MALL' stamps - and JMB, who has accumulated and shared much data on these will probably help with the original date of issue and the 'reissues'.  

Trajan

Trajan,

Thank you for the invitation to come out and play!

As to the markings.........I'll hazard a guess.

year of first inspection & acceptance into govt service......5 '16 or 5 '18 (directly beneath 1907)

re-inspection years.....'27 (on right ricasso)...'28 (upside down); '34 &'38 (close to RHS of 1907);

Given that PALL MALL was only included with WILKINSON from 5 '16 onwards, the lone 4 to RHS of 

crown cannot be '14; more likely '24.

Also, given the late re-inspection dates, I would favour 5 '18 as more likely than 5 '16.

Incidentally, WILK was turning out 17,000/week in 1918, which would account for the less-than-perfect

initial stampings. See British & Commonwealth Bayonets by Skennerton & Richardson.

Finally, each re-inspection is accompanied by an inspection stamp and the initial inspection should have three.

We see only 2 of the expected 4 on the right ricasso, and possibly 3 of the expected 4 on the left ricasso.

Regards,

JMB

Chaps;

As ever a comprehensive and erudite answer ! I am, as always, stunned at the knowledge this forum has.

Regards;

Edited by Porteous
spelling

Told you JMB would help crack it!;) 

By the way, you mentioned this was bought for 'demonstration purposes'.... Sounds interesting! Also note that OTU-marked ones are - if I remember aright from what I have learnt here over the years - rather hard to come by, and so I hope the 'demonstration' doesn't damage it! 

Trajan

• 10 months later...

Good grief ! I stand in awe of the knowledge displayed on this forum. Thank you.