The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Tactics, operations and reserves

Selousi

Hi there, 

I was wondering if any of you could recommend me some reading on the character of the war on the Western Front; I'm specifically after general overviews of tactics, operations and the use of reserves, but also some concise stuff, if possible on command and control in any of the major battles and offensives. 

Thank you kindly, 

I have always recommended Noddy goes to War a cracking book that gives just that level of detail. Published by Bookend Books, 2013. Foreword is of course by Dan Snow.

Pete

Edited by PMHart

Thank you Pete, I shall add that to my list. At the moment I'm mulling over these three; Winning and Losing on the Western Front by Jonathon Boff, Command and Control on the Western Front by Gary Sheffield, and Battle Tactics of the Western Front, by Paddy Griffiths. I'm only familiar with Sheffield of the three so I don't know about the other two; whether to get them. 

All 3 are good books.  JB's is very much focussed on 1918 and so if you want to understand how the BEF got to the position it was in at the start of the 100 days in 1918 I recommend you start with the other 2.  

To understand how the British Army had evolved prior to 1914 try Spencer Jones' From Boer War to World War: Tactical Reform of the British Army 1902 - 1914.  And then try his books Stemming The Tide: Officers and Leadership in the BEF 1914 and Courage Without Glory: The British Army on the Western Front 1915.  If you want to know about C2 at Corps level I recommend Andy Simpson's Directing Operations.  

That should keep you going for now.

Hi

Andy Simpson's 'The Evolution of Victory' and 'From the Somme to Victory' by Peter Simkins might be of use, as would 'British Generalship on the Western Front 1914-18' and 'British Fighting Methods in the Great War' edited by Paddy Griffith.  Although you are now getting a rather long list.

I hear Peter Hart has had some good books published but Dan Snow refused to do any forewords for them.

Mike