The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

North Staffordshire regt

Guest hergie1

I collect medals and all types of militaria to the North Staffords. Would like to hear from anyone having a similar interest or items for sale or trade. If you have any broken pairs or trios ,have about 60 missing one or more medals

Guest pennyindorset

Hi Hergie, any chance you can mention what you have? Grandfather was in North Staffs but we don t know what he done with his medals, his name is John Dicken......ring any bells?

Hello Hergie

I collect North Staffords stuff (if I can find it before it is snapped up!), but concentrate more on the research side, particularly on men from the 1/5th and 1/6th Battalions during the Great War.

Hello Hergie,

I would be interested in a cap badge and shoulder insignia consistent with 2/6th NS.

Roop

Roop

The cap badge was the same for the 2/6th Battalion as it was for all battalions of the North Staffords. Shoulder titles varied. Some of the old pre-war Territorials who transferred to the 2/6th may have retained their distinctive titles ("T" over "6" over "NorthStafford"), but the photos I have seen of 2/6th men usually show the conventional title (without the T or 6), or the cloth version with white lettering. The battalion also wore cloth insignia as part of 59th Division's scheme of battle patches, the 2/6th North Staffords sign being a red diamond worn on the upper arms.

Thanks Andrew, I would not have known the differences personally.

My GF was with the 2/6th enlisting in the Lincolns in 1915 before transfer to NS,going to Ireland in early 1916 before F&F in early 1917.

That is my interest in this battalion.

Roop

Roop

I've recently bought the history of the 59th Div,my Great Grandfather served with the 2/6th Btn South Staffs,so if i can help with any info just let me know.

Regards Doug.

Hi Doug, Thanks for your kind offer.

I do have a query.

I know that GF went to Ireland as already stated and know he was in F&F eventually getting trenchfoot and being repatriated in 1918.

My query is? Can you shed light on any possible situations where there was a likelyhood of getting trenchfoot, any mentions of poor trenches, bad weather etc.

GF apparently always mentioned Hill 60 but to date I cannot place him there from the War diary I have etc. I don not know which company he was with so this doesnt help.

Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

Roop

My query is? Can you shed light on any possible situations where there was a likelyhood of getting trenchfoot, any mentions of poor trenches, bad weather etc.

Roop

The South Staffordshire Rgt History records that the 176th Brigade went into the front line via Ypres from 21st Sept 1917 taking over a series of muddy holes thick with mud. Classic conditions for trench foot.

Regards Doug.

Thanks Doug,

By what I can understand from the War diary that as you have described is the only obvious occassion that he could have been struck down in this manner.

Unfortunately I cannot date his repatriation although we know he was in hospital for many months of 1918.

Are you aware if the history is in reprint at N&M or similar???

Roop

Are you aware if the history is in reprint at N&M or similar???

Roop

If you are referring to the History Of the South Staffordshire Rgt, Vale 1969,as far as I know there isnt a reprint. My copy cost me over £100, being a first edition.

Regards Doug.

I have a ww1 tunic to an officer (Lt/2/Lt) in the North Staffs. It needs some stitching but is in good condition. I collect irish medals and would be willing to trade.

regards.

Tom