The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

bayonet displaying

Khaki

13 hours ago, bigalni said:

Trajan is keen to see a few markings so ill show a couple here.Nothing spectacular but nice to have

First is the 1903 shown above Pommel mark .Mark reads 3RB.Ricasso has various dates

So, 3rd Rifle Brigade? And a nice early one - 03 '04. I'll let RMB and SS do the other ricassoes - their forte!

Next is a 1888 Metford.Loads on ricasso

If that is 'S.R.', then i think this is a marking for the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) militia - 'M' over the abbreviation indicates militia.

That 'C.C. marking either side of the 'Sold-out-of-service' one is interesting - have a look at MSDT's comments at post 198 and others after at:http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/194834-p1888-bayonets/&page=8 

Last one is an 07.Not GW but interesting Regt marks.

Any comments on any of these are welcome!

Alan

WP_20170407_19_41_39_Pro.jpg

WP_20170407_19_43_11_Pro.jpg

Got me on that one - can't find a match in 1897 or 1912/1916 listings... I wonder if it is post WW1? Or WW2? Just guessing, perhaps Territorial Royal Engineers... Anti-Aircraft Company? 

15 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

And then it's full!

I'd be happy with that! But, I take it that you don't have a cat - either the furry or the nine-tailed version?:thumbsup:

Yes the 07 is exactly that..Territorial Royal Engineers 357 Anti Aircraft Company.It is post WW1 and was a Searchlight Company .

In WW1 it was the 7 Lancashire Fusiliers a TA unit, but In the 20s I believe was reorganised into a RE Searchlight battalion.

It was later morphed into 5Cameronians searchlight Regt and then became 125 th Cameronians Light Anti Aircraft Regiment with the 357th designated as 414 LAA Bty.

It later formed part of 131 LAA Regt in Aug 44 at HAWKINGE as part of defences against V1 flying bombs.The unit then had a long post war life as a TA unit.

Interesting history!

Alan

1 minute ago, bigalni said:

Yes the 07 is exactly that.. Interesting history!

Certainly an interesting history that. The last one  of my aunts, who recently died at the age of 98(!), was in one of these TRE/AAC units, which is how it clicked.

Julian