The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1/5th Kings Own Royal Lancs

dorrie

As part of my research I am trying to trace where the 1/5 Kings Own Royal Lancs were on 20/3/ 1918. I have looked at the Long Long Trail but cannot find they were in action. I am after information re Lieutenant Ternce Baldwin who died on that date. He may well have died from wounds from previous engagement, or in a isolated incident. If anybody could look up on SDGW as to whether he died of injuries or KIA.

Any information will be gretaly received

Thanks

Dorrie

The King`s Own History mentions Lt T.K.J.Baldwin KIA with the 2/5 Bn, not 1/5. They are described as being in the valley of the Lys close to the Ypres salient. Phil B

thanks Phil

I suppose I took it to be the 1/5 as on CWGC info it just states 5th Battalion. Do you have any further information regarding Lieut Baldwin.

Dorrie

Can only confirm that as Phil say's, Lt Baldwin was listed as 2/5 Kings Own and they were in the valley of the Lys. He is simply mentioned amongst "Other casualties"

I have the 1/5th's History, and there is no mention of a Lt Baldwin in their Officers' Casualty List (or indeed as one of those who embarked with the battalion). 1/5th were at Ferme du Roi near Bethune with 55th Div on 20/03/18. 2/5th were with 170 Bde, 57th Division at that time.

Peteq, can you confirm that 57th Div were in the valley on the Lys at that time, please? They don't appear on the OBs for the Battle of the Lys which commenced on 09/04/18.

Greenwoodman,

The only references for 9/4/1918 in Cowpers Kings Own history are for 55th Div and 1/5 Kings Own. 57th Div don't get a mention. 1/4, 1/5 & 2/5 KO were among twenty-six divisions of 1st & 2nd Armies holding the front along the Lys but again no Div numbers and it was in March not April.

If you want a copy of the relevent pages, let me know.