The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

help to find gt gt uncle

Guest dawnparfitt

Guest dawnparfitt

looking for Norman Anderton 109120 Pte k.Liverpool Regt. Born Platt bridge, Wigan, Lancs in 1898. On electoral register 1918-1919 as missing voter in St. Helens.

can anyone help me find records of him?

Dawn

Go onto the website 'The Long Long Trail' and look up how to research a Great War Soldier. You will find a lot of useful information.

You should be able to find his medal card quite easily as you have his name and service number. You can do this online through the National Archives. How to do this is explained on the website.

Good luck and any problems, just put them on this Forum and there are plenty of people who will help you.

SEAN

Hi Dawn,

There is no Anderton listed under 109120 with the Medal Index Cards. There is a Thomas Atherton 109120 listed as serving with the Liverpool Regiment. You can view his MIC at the following link.

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...1&resultcount=4

There is only one Norman Anderton listed. If he is your man you can download his MIC here. If you do so and then post it on the forum people should be able to tell you more about his service.

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...1&resultcount=1

Norman H Anderton is listed as serving with the 16th Lancashire Fusiliers as a Second Lieutenant/Lieutenant. The 16th Battalion was the second 'Salford Pals' Battalion. Wigan seems to be consistent with this.

The cards list medal entitlements from active service. If Anderton is your man I would guess that he was commissioned into the Lancashire Fusiliers after initially serving in the ranks with the Liverpool Regiment (although he did not see active service with them).

Rgds

Tim

Dawn,

Knew I had seen the name somewhere before! If your man was Lt. Norman Anderton of the 16th Lancs Fusiliers there is a bit of a story and some photographs of him in Michael Stedman's book 'Salford Pals'. He was captured in a German raid on the 10th March 1916 and spent the next three years in captivity...perhaps why he was on the absent voters list? A copy of his photo is attached. There is another photo of him with other prisoners in the book and a copy of a card he signed for the Germans advising he would not attempt to escape. I will post what else I can find on the weekend.

Rgds

Tim

post-2-1103240495.gif