The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Medals to J Welsh Middlesex Regt

Guest Jim Robinson

Guest Jim Robinson

I've been helping a colleague at work with her family tree and we have a smallish brick wall.

The family story goes that a relative was in the Middlesex Regt and died in the Great War. The man was called J Welsh.The MICs at the National archive show four J Welsh's in the Middlesex Regt

According to the CWGC there is only one casualty who matches, Pte J B Welsh, G/5177, kia 18/8/16.

This looks like a match, although is circumstantial.

She has recently found that her mother sent his medals off to be auctioned earlier this year, we believe in July, in the Manchester area.

We would like to find out if the medals auctioned belonged to the same man as the CWGC casualty.

The medals, I believe should be a BWM & Victory pair, were estimated at £150. However there were, "some other items" we don't know what, included in the lot. Therefore we are looking for leads. If you were the person who bought the medals, or perhaps if you have a catalogue from the sale that will give more details, we would love to hear from you.

I would stress that my friend doesn't want to harass anyone to sell the medals back, she would just appreciate the information.

Thank you

Jim Robinson

Jim:

I'm far from an expert but you might start checking the dealers' and auction houses listed in the links on the Speedbid homepage.

www.speedbid.com

Might have some luck; or at least some phone numbers for local auction houses.