The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lieutenant James Lawrence Fowlie d. 24.4.1917

FrancesH

I am angry with myself for having missed the hundredth anniversary of the death of Lieutenant James Fowlie, who is one of the ten individuals at the centre of my current research project.

James was born in Singapore, the son of Dr Peter Fowlie, a doctor and one of the colony's eight Municipal Commissioners. However, like the children of most colonial administrators, he was sent back to Britain as an infant and was brought up by his maternal grandparents, James and Mary Lawrence (he was, obviously, named after his grandfather). The Lawrences lived in St Catherine's House, Forres, Morayshire. James attended Clifton Bank School in St Andrew's, leaving in a cloud of glory having won the Latin Prize, become head boy, captain of cricket and also declared 'Dux', a public school prize for the most outstanding pupil in a given year. He went to St Andrew's University to study medicine (perhaps at his father's wish) but after six months moved to Pembroke College, Cambridge, to study modern languages. In January 1915, together with about 100 other Cambridge undergraduates, he went to Sandhurst to take part in the first of the RMC's abbreviated wartime officer training courses, from which they emerged in May. James was commissioned in the Highland Light Infantry but spent the rest of 1915 in Britain, in particular undergoing training in signalling. He did so well in this that he was kept on as an instructor, much against his will as he was desperate to get to the Front. In March 1916 he finally arrived in France and was appointed both signalling and intelligence officer for his battalion, which was slightly unusual (a topic which has been explored elsewhere on this Forum). On the night of 11 September James and his sergeant set up an advanced signalling post in preparation for his battalion's assault the following day. He carried out this task with complete success and was promoted to lieutenant and company commander. At the time of his death on 24 April he was acting as the Brigade liaison officer, once more, of course, in an 'advanced position'. He and his sergeant were killed by a direct hit from a shell. He is buried in the Faubourg d'Amiens Cemetery at Arras and is commemorated on memorials at St Andrew's University and at Pembroke College. 

james fowlie 1917.jpg

Don't be too harsh on yourself Frances, you remembered him today and remembering is what matters.

Remembered Always :poppy:

Regards Keith

Thank you Keith! I do think about James (and the others) a great deal so they are certainly not forgotten any more -- and that as you say is the important thing.