Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alexander Weldon Molony

pjwmacro

Interested in finding out more about Alexander Weldon Molony. 1 R Dubs Fusiliers and went ashore on V Beach on 25 Apr 15. I believe he subsequently fought with 22 Bty Motor Machine Guns in the 3rd Afghan War. I am reading Oak's excellent "Beneath a Turkish Sky" which quotes Alexander (from "Neills Blue Caps") but I am curious as to whether there are surviving descendants, papers, photos and in particular any details about his time in India.

Thanks, Paul

FB_IMG_1487458143662.jpg

Just to point out the photo posted initially is one from my grandfathers collection. I am convinced he has he has mis captioned Molony as Malony. 22 Bty War Dairy, shipping records, indian army list of 1919 and London Gazette all bear this out.

Regards.

Paul

three entries on https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk

1908, 1913& this from 1917

First Name: A W
Surname: Molony
Nationality: British
Rank (2nd): Acting Lieutenant Colonel
Service: British Army
Regiment: Royal Dublin Fusiliers
Battalion: 1st & 2nd Battalion (Regular) 
Seniority Date: 18-Jan-17

1 hour ago, pjwmacro said:

Just to point out the photo posted initially is one from my grandfathers collection. I am convinced he has he has mis captioned Molony as Malony. 22 Bty War Dairy, shipping records, indian army list of 1919 and London Gazette all bear this out.

Regards.

Paul

Speaking as a Moloney, I would not find this at all surprising.  People I have known all my life mis-spell it.  And my great-uncle Moloney appears in a War Diary as Maloney while an officer Malony appears as Moloney (or something like that!)

Liz

I know that preceeds but was in 1908 RDF

Battalion: 1st Battalion (Why is this important?)
Seniority Date: 21/06/1908

22 minutes ago, jonbem said:

Was 4th Btn LR and transfered 1903 to RDF.

Screenshot_20170505-163533.jpg

ah the power of group research!

1911 Census has him in Ceylon with RDF.

Captain AW Molony 1st Btn RDF daily wound list 4th May 1915, reported 29th April 1915.

There is also a record on FMP from 1902 where he was a member of Court of Enquiry investigating an AWOL case.

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fwo363-4%2fsupp%2f130409

Emergency Commission 1940.

Andy

Screenshot_20170505-165646.jpg

Edited by HolymoleyRE

Thanks all for the various comments. I knew he originally commissioned into 4th Leinsters (1901) and then moved to R Dubs in1903. He was also for interest something of a tennis player - both at home in Ireland and when in India.

I was nor aware of the wounding list from Apr/May 15 - where can that be found? I was pretty sure he had been wounded early in the Gallipoli landings but am notaware of the details.

I am particularly interested in his service during the 3rd Afghan War with 22 Bty Motor Machine Guns and then what he got up to post war.

More links above to follow!

Regards Paul

14 hours ago, pjwmacro said:

Thanks all for the various comments. I knew he originally commissioned into 4th Leinsters (1901) and then moved to R Dubs in1903. He was also for interest something of a tennis player - both at home in Ireland and when in India.

I was nor aware of the wounding list from Apr/May 15 - where can that be found? I was pretty sure he had been wounded early in the Gallipoli landings but am notaware of the details.

I am particularly interested in his service during the 3rd Afghan War with 22 Bty Motor Machine Guns and then what he got up to post war.

More links above to follow!

Regards Paul

Paul,

He listed in the Times 4th May 1915.

Andy

Screenshot_20170506-120645.jpg

Thanks Holymoley for your work on this . Much appreciated. I had not seen the Times report of his wounding. I wonder if there arezny dressing station records surviving - he presumably would have been evacuated to to Lesmos. 

I was also begining to wonder if he had maybe served beyond 1921 ,and whether the MOD were holding a service record. I have not seen the sort of print you show before. What are the numbers 7060 and 877? And is P42817 his service number. Given Alexander died in the 1950s I should be able to get the service record from the MoD.

Thanks again for your help. 

Regards,Paul

On 05/05/2017 at 16:02, Stephen Nulty said:

Thanks Stephen. Appreciated. Paul

On 05/05/2017 at 16:13, jonbem said:

John, many thanks for your help.

Regards, Paul

On 05/05/2017 at 15:38, Liz in Eastbourne said:

Speaking as a Moloney, I would not find this at all surprising.  People I have known all my life mis-spell it.  And my great-uncle Moloney appears in a War Diary as Maloney while an officer Malony appears as Moloney (or something like that!)

Liz

Liz, I sympathise: Macro......... McCro, MaCro, MacRo, Macrow, Macroe....... I could go on!!!

Regards, Paul

15 hours ago, pjwmacro said:

Thanks Holymoley for your work on this . Much appreciated. I had not seen the Times report of his wounding. I wonder if there arezny dressing station records surviving - he presumably would have been evacuated to to Lesmos. 

I was also begining to wonder if he had maybe served beyond 1921 ,and whether the MOD were holding a service record. I have not seen the sort of print you show before. What are the numbers 7060 and 877? And is P42817 his service number. Given Alexander died in the 1950s I should be able to get the service record from the MoD.

Thanks again for your help. 

Regards,Paul

Hello Paul,

Not a problem,

The numbers  7069 and 877 are just file references the P42817 is his Officer Service Number...there is a slight fly in the ointment it has his DoB as 1885 06 05...His birth is registered in 1884 Apr/May/June...so right month wrong year...????

But my MoD Medical records had me down as having a foot missing...!?! So an inncorrect year of birth is feasible, also his personnel file is not at the TNA.

Records can be requested from

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/overview

Cheers

Andy

Edited by HolymoleyRE

Death certificate received. Confirms date of death 15 Jul 53. Royal Cancer Hospital London. Of Hale Cottage, Frimley, Surrey. Lt Clol retired. Death notified by brother C W (Claude Weldon) Molony. Assume Alexander had no children???. Will apply for service record from MoD.

Hi

He didn't get married. His sister Eileen Clare (married name, 1918, Bain...Capt.Percy William Bain, 6th Connaught Rangers, d.1968 photo on Ancestry) she died 1990 Hampshire aged 98 yrs in a nursing home. No trace of any living relatives. Claude died 1976, aged 83.

Regards Barry 

Edited by The Inspector

2 hours ago, The Inspector said:

Hi

He didn't get married. His sister Eileen Clare (married name, 1918, Bain...Capt.Percy William Bain, 6th Connaught Rangers, d.1968 photo on Ancestry) she died 1990 Hampshire aged 98 yrs in a nursing home. No trace of any living relatives. Claude died 1976, aged 83.

Regards Barry 

Thanks Barry. Appreciated. Regards Paul

• 5 weeks later...

Applied to MoD for his Service record. Now waiting - but I am convinced this is one and the same man - a 1 R Dubs Fus Capt wounded at V Beach Gallipoli on the River Clyde 25 Apr 1915 and then as a Maj, commanding 22 Bty MGC(M) in India from1916 through to the end of the 3rd Afghan War. Thanks to all for your help. Will update once I have service record.

• 4 weeks later...

Update on Maj A W Molony. I have now heard back from APC Glasgow - they do not have a record of Service, for Alexander Weldon Molony. However, they have sent me sufficient information from his p file to confirm OC 22 MMG Battery in India and Capt A W Molony 1 R Dub Fusiliers, W Coy. onboard the SS River Clyde at V Beach Gallipoli 25 Apr 1915, are one and the same!  In particular his AF B103 confirms he was wounded at Gallipoli and casevaced to UK, Plymouth, via Malta. He was discharged from hospital in Plymouth in 15 Jun on 2 months sick leave. He was seconded to MGC in Oct 15 (already knew this from Gazette entry) andposted to Command 22 Battery MGC(Motors) at Bisley in Nov 15. He was going back to UK in Apr 19, but this was delayed by the 3rd Afghan War and he shipped back to UK in Oct 19 on HMT Huntsgreen. (Pictures of the Huntsgreen are in my grandfather's album, so I assume he(my grandfather) was also on this ship). He was discharged from the Regular Army Reserve of Officers in May 1934 - due to age but was recalled to service in India in WW2 between Aug 40 and Jan 43. On leaving the Army in 1920'he obviously returned to India as his emergency mobilisation record says he resided in India ina civil capacity 1921 to 1928. He also says he was in S Africa 1937, and that on leaving the "Army became Trainer of Racehorses and managed large racing stable". He records he was educated at Bedford College 1895-1901.