The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Bedfordshire Regiment

chrismac

Anyone with a knowledge of the Beds

Looking to find out more of my great uncle Edwin Rivett

9/45756

I think those numbers indicates he was originally in the 9th battalion before being absorbed into the training reserve. I've been told that he volunteered and signed up under age (he was born in 1900) so I'm not sure how or why he got from North Norfolk to Bedford and then what happened to him afterwards.

Another Beds query is -

FRANCIS WILLIAM HAYLER,

Born Spalding, April 27 1878. Educated Walsingham Grammar School.

Enlisted Dec 13 1895.2nd Bedfords (War Office Khartoum).

Died from a disease contracted in the Sudan, Jan 31 1918. Buried at parish church, Chiswick.

Checked the 2nd Beds and I don't have them anywhere near Sudan. Would he have been part of a small adminstrive group based there ?

Any help would be much appreciated

www.walsingham-memories.co.uk

Chris,

The 9 number is not 9th battalion. You're correct in assuming that it's a training battalion but it should have the prefix TR/ before the 9. Number suggests he enlisted mid 1917. 51000 number is very high for the Beds Rgt and unlikely he would have seen service overseas before 1918. Although regiments had traditional recruiting areas, it was not uncommon for men to enlist in units that they thought might give them an early opportunity of service overseas. Often they had no choice, however. So you will find men from all of East Anglia and beyond enlisting into the Bedfords.

Hayler is a bit of a mystery since he doesn't appear on the Boer War medal rolls for the Bedfords and has no entry for the Bedfords in SDGW or any entry in CWGC. The 2nd Bedfords were on a tour of the middle East from 1892 onwards so it is distinctly possible that Hayler enlisted out there; that suggests he was already residing in in the area. He does not appear on any of the MICs that are currently available online and the 2nd Bedfords got no further than France and Flanders in WW1. I can't think why a battalion (as opposed to a regiment) would have had anybody serving well away from the fighting area.

So I think you need to query the entry you're looking at. I think you'll find that Hayler enlisted into the 2nd Bedfords in 1895 but stayed in Khartoum, where his family home was located, in some sort of civilian capacity with the Army after the Bedfords departed for South Africa. Query also why he is buried in Chiswick after he died in the Sudan. Was there perhaps a family connection in Chsiwick ? Was he of such a position within the ministry that his family were allowed the return of his body when others were buried on the spot ? An interesting bit of research beckons !

All the best

David

David

many thanks for your help

I'm back in Norfolk at Xmas and will be meeting up with his daughter (E Rivett) who I've not met before so perhaps she might know more. Would be interested to know why he had two numbers. Moved from where to where ? What did the number number mean ?

I have a photo of FRANCIS HAYLER in some formal dinner suit. His father was the headmaster of the village school and I believe was in the village when the memorial was put up. I doubt his name would have been included otherwise. Suggests a likely candidate for a staff job. Perhaps he had contracted some diease that allowed him home to be treated before succumbing, in a hospital in Chiswick ?

Chris,

Thanks for reply. I have seen a few medals issued to TR battalions. Assume they went across to France for training "on the job" before joining one of the fighting battalions.

Sorry, misread the note about Hayler, and thought he died in the Sudan. If he had family in Walsingham, especially local head teacher, I assume you will find a mention in the local newspaper. A trip to Chiswick cemetery might provide dividends.

Good luck !

David