The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

9th Norfolks, 19/04/18 what happened?

Mark Crame

4 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

I think they're the same person.

Craig

I'm coming to the same conclusion.

There is a birth of a William Charles Gaskins recorded in the Norwich District in the July to September quarter of 1891. However there is no obvious matching census records for 1901 or 1911, and no likely death record in England and Wales that would account for his non-appearance. I also couldn't find online any obvious baptismal records.

In the race to build on land of the newly expanded City & County of Norwich in the 1890's, property developers tried to get a number of place names to stick. These new "suburbs" in-filled land between the old Medieval Walls and nearby villages, so that you had names like New Sprowston, New Catton....and Upper Hellesdon. However for Births, Deaths and Marriages purposes they all fell within the District of Norwich.

This is speculation but I suspect William was the child of a single parent who subsequently married. The question would then be whether William took on his step-fathers name on the 1901/1911 census, reverting to Gaskins when he was old enough, or if he was passed out to family \ friends \ the fathers family and was recorded with another surname, etc, etc. of course the family could have left England and Wales and William could then have returned after 1911, so there are lots of potential scenarios.

To try and resolve the mother subsequently married scenario I looked for female Gaskins who married in the Norwich District between 1891 to 1901. There was one, Eliza, who married in the July to September quarter of 1899. The marriage indexes produced centrally weren't cross referenced then and as most pages contained at least two marriages, you end up with a couple of choices. The males on the same page are William Henry Bates and David William Francis. The 1901 census has a married couple Eliza and William H Bates living on Mousehold Heath, Norwich. The same couple on the 1911 census are an Eliza and William Henry that have been married for 11 years. They were now living at Brooke, Norfolk. On both occasions there is no-one else living with them. He was a Kennel Master for a Pack of Stag Hounds. He would therefore have connections with the local well to do - the sort who might fund a memorial plaque in a local church

Eliza was 28 on the 1901 census, so would have been about 18 when William Charles was born. However having checked back through the 1881 and 1891 census I was able to identify her parents and sister, but scrolling forward I couldn't find a William Charles or a Charles living with them.

I then tried looking for Williams and Charles born circa 1891 at either Hellesdon or Norwich to see if one leapt out as a potential adoptee, but no joy. Of course the young Ms Gaskins could have married anywhere and adopted her child anywhere. Her new husband may well have been prepared to give the child his own name.

So not at all sure how he got from Hellesdon to Heckingham to Stockton, if indeed they are all one and the same person. The marriage certificate might give you more useful information, although it might just say father unknown. It will however confirm Williams' age and trade which might be helpful.

BTW - I assume the post town for Stockton is Bungay, which may explain the Bungay connection on the PictureNorfolk site.

Regards,

Peter

Edited by PRC
Typo

So not at all sure how he got from Hellesdon to Heckingham to Stockton, if indeed they are all one and the same person. The marriage certificate might give you more useful information, although it might just say father unknown. It will however confirm Williams' age and trade which might be helpful.

I think has to be the next step (the soldiers will may also add something) to add some more information.

I'd guess that Hilda Randall is the 26 year old domestic living at The Hall, Gressenhall in 1911. Born 1885. She's the only obvious entry I can see.

There is a birth of a William Charles Gaskins recorded in the Norwich District in the July to September quarter of 1891. However there is no obvious matching census records for 1901 or 1911, and no likely death record in England and Wales that would account for his non-appearance. I also couldn't find online any obvious baptismal records.

Nor could I.

Craig

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 11:58, PRC said:

On the 1901 Census there is a 13 year old Hilda Randall living with her parents at Heckingham. They were John, (48, Teamster on Farm, born Aylsham) and Sarah Ann, (47, born Heydon). Its difficult to make out the census takers handwriting but my best guess is that Hilda was born Hindolveston. Her next youngest sibling was born Hethel. There is no obvious match on the 1911 census but there is a 21 year old Hilda Randall born Hethel recorded as a live in servant at a household in Lowestoft. I've long ago learnt to take information given by employers and landlords with a large pinch of salt, so as there is no match on the earlier censuses for the Hethel born woman, I think they are one and the same.

Her parents were still living at Heckingham.

The 26 year old Hilda Randall, a live in domestic servant at a household in Gressenhall, Norfolk, was originally from Nottinghamshire so almost certainly a different candidate to the one above. Heckingham is in the right part of the county for Stockton so gets my vote at the moment :-).

Regards,

Peter

On 5/9/2017 at 13:29, PRC said:

Mark,

The place name is actually Hellesdon, but Charles isn't on the Hellesdon War Memorial. I've never made it inside the church, (always locked, no keyholder) but I'm assuming this plaque isn't inside. There were certainly more than one man from that Parish who made the ultimate sacrifice.

I then took a look at the Census records. There is only one Charles Gaskins recorded in Norfolk, but there isn't a Hellesdon connection.

1891 Census. Charles F.J. Aged 5. Born Cawston, Norfolk. Parents  Edward, (31, Farm Labourer, born Cawston) and Mary, (30, born Banningham, Norfolk). He had 4 siblings. Living at Newton Road, Great Dunham, Norfolk.

1901 Census. Charles. Aged 15. Agricultural Blacksmith. Parents were Edward, (42) and Mary, (39). All of them plus 5 siblings are shown as born Great Dunham. They are all shown as living North Street, Great Dunham.

1911 Census. Charles. Aged 25. Farmer. Born Cawston. Married Head of Household at Street, Sporle, Near Swaffham, Norfolk. His wife was Mabel, (aged 27, born Sporle). Its not clear how long the couple have been married, possibly 4 years, but so far there are no children.

Also living with them is Charles’ brother Arthur, aged 13, born Great Dunham.

Charles is not on the Sporle War Memorial. However an Arthur F Gaskins, son of Edward and Mary, is.

http://www.breckland-rollofhonour.org.uk/sporle.html

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/1742662/GASKINS,%20ARTHUR%20FRANK

Confusingly on the Electoral Register Charles is recorded as “Gaskin”.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2HTF-1G1

There is a baptism for a Charles Frederick John Gaskins, no date of birth recorded, which took place at St Andrew, Great Dunham, Norfolk on the 17th June 1888. Parents were Edward, a Labourer and Mary Elizabeth.

https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5818f32be93790eca321db30?search_id=591222354325a65730283a2a&ucf=false

So now I'm totally intrigued - where is it -  please put me out of my misery :-)

Thanks,

Peter

Charles F.J. Gaskins is not your man--his death is registered in 1942, in Wayland, Norfolk (1st Quarter 1942).. 

Josquin

Edited by josquin

We are getting somewhere now...a lot, lot further than I'd imagined possible!

A few things -

Was the (probable) mother Eliza Gaskins when she gave birth? Were her parents surname Gaskins?

What was the household in Lowestoft? Could it be possible that (William) Charles was working in Lowestoft, perhaps in a factory or at sea (ships cook or cabin boy?) 'Away' on the day of the census?

William Henry Bates - makes sense for William Charles Gaskins to drop the William for ease in the household. Common occurrence.

Updated record:

18468 Private (William) Charles Gaskins. 9th Battalion, Norfolk Regiment, 71st Infantry Brigade, 6th Division.

William Charles Gaskins was born in Hellesden, Norfolk during the July to September quarter of 1891 to 18 year old Eliza, who married William Henry Bates in the July to September quarter of 1899. The 1901 census records the couple living on Mousehold Heath, Norwich, having moved to Brooke, Norfolk by the time of the 1911 census. On both occasions there is no-one else living with them. William Bates is latterly recorded as a Kennel Master for a pack of stag hounds

William Charles Gaskins married Hilda Randall in the Loddon Civil Registration District of Norfolk in the January to March quarter of 1913. The 1901 Census records Hilda Randall, aged 13, living at Heckingham, Norfolk with her parents John, a teamster on a farm aged 48, born in Aylsham, Norfolk and Sarah Ann, aged 47, born in Heydon, Norfolk. The 1911 census records 21 year old Hilda Randall, born at Hethel, Norfolk as a live in servant at a household in Lowestoft. Her parents were still living at Heckingham.

Charles, as he is recorded by military records, enlisted at Norwich and had 39 months qualifying service at the time of his death, being recorded as having died of wounds aged 26 on 19th April 1918 at 62nd Casualty Clearing Station, Bandrighem. He is buried in plot II.F.38 at Haringhe (Bandaghem) Military Cemetery, Belgium. Bandaghem, like Dozinghem and Mendinghem, were the popular names given by the troops to groups of casualty clearing stations posted to this area during the First World War. The cemetery site was chosen in July 1917 for the 62nd and 63rd Casualty Clearing Stations and burials from these and other hospitals (notably the 36th Casualty Clearing Station in 1918) continued until October 1918.

There are no births registered in England and Wales of children with the surname Gaskins and mothers maiden name Randall and the effects records for 18468 Charles Gaskins were paid to his sole legatee and widow, Hilda.

9th Norfolks, were in action at Mont de Lille and Kemmel between 14-18th April and it is likely that Private Gaskins was wounded during either the Battle of Bailleul (Lys) between 13-15th April 1918 or the First Battle of Kemmel Ridge betweem 17-19th April 1918.

On 14th April the battalion moved into the line at Dranoutre. By the 15th, 9th Norfolks had come under the temporary command of 1st Battalion, the Leicester Regiment. They had already lost heavily in their rearguard action during the 21st March enemy offensive and the draft of men originally destined for 1/4th Battalion Leicesters had helped bring them back up to strength.

On 15th April they were manning the front line near Crucifix corner, Dranoute, on which day the "Enemy gained footing in trench but B Co counter-attack pushed them out, though they were forced to retire under heavy pressure keeping touch with 1st Leisters at Clapham Junction"  according to 9th Norfolks' War Diary. 1st Leicesters recorded:“(Next day) D and A companies were in front line, C in support and B in reserve. Arrangements had been made for C to counter attack if necessary but its losses owing to the continuous heavy bombardment commencing at noon on the 15th necessitated B taking it's place as the counter attack force. At 2.30pm on the 15th the enemy advanced and by 3pm had gained a foothold in the front trenches. From these he was once again driven out by B company. Although B held the line and formed a defensive flank they were eventually themselves driven out due to their exposed position." 9th Norfolks were then ordered into Divisional Reserve at Mount Kemmel, half being positioned east of Locre, the other half on the road leading northwest from Kemmel. The line was formed along the railway with the 1st Leicesters on the left at Clapham Junction. Having been recorded as being in "Close support of 1st Leisters" on the 18th,  they were moved back behind Mt Kemmel at 10.30pm before being pulled out of the line: "Relieved by French and moved to Westoutre and on to Ouderdom" arriving at Vlamertinghe late on 19th April.

1st Leicester’s Battalion War Diary, 15th April 1918:

The war diary for today records that the Battalion were in the front line in the Neuve Eglise sector. Patrols sent out throughout the night, no definite information gained. One prisoner a German Officer captured on Neuve Eglise – Dranoutre Road. At 10.30am Operational Order number 300 received from Brigade placing one Company of 9th Norfolk Regiment hitherto attached to us under order of Officer Commanding 9th Norfolk Regiment. Quiet morning, Brigade Major and Brigade I. O. called at 12 o clock and went round line with Commanding Officer. At 1.30pm very heavy shelling of area held by Battalion commenced. The shelling gradually increased in intensity and reached its climax about 3.00pm. Telephone lines to Brigade held until about 3.15pm and from communications heard it was gathered that 9th Norfolk Regiment on our right had been attacked and driven back. A counter attack temporally resolved the situation, but remaining troops were not sufficiently strong to hold the line. This made the position of our right Company somewhat precarious, but they held on although a runner reported at Battalion HQ’s that they had left some of their trenches at 3.15pm. A defensive flank was formed valley in S. 12.d. by one platoon of B Company and Battalion HQ’s. Later reports indicated that A company were compelled to evacuate their trenches about 4.30pm owing to very heavy shelling and in order to get touch with 9th Norfolk Regiment on right, who had withdrawn to the line of the railway S.12.a. At 4.25pm D Company on left reported that everything was all right, casualties slight. B Company reported frequently during bombardment 1.30 to 3.30pm about which time the intensity of the bombardment considerably decreased. At 5.00pm the enemy brought up a field gun to within a few hundred yards of the front line which commenced firing point blank at our trenches. At 6.30pm a message was received from A Company advising that their line ran as follows: - S.12.d. 20.50 (12 men), S.12.d. 30.70 (6 men), S.12.d. 50.80 (7 men). Enemy at S.12.c and advancing, nobody visible on right. One platoon of C Company under 2nd Lt. Sims had been sent to support A Company about 4.30pm. At 7.15pm situation advised to Brigade as follows: - Left Company as usual. Left centre Company as usual except for one platoon in reserve sent to reinforce right Company. Right centre Company strong point T.7.a. 15.80 to S.12.d. 90.60. A Company and one platoon of C Company, HQ’s S.12.d. 75.50 to S.12.d. 30.50 facing east-south, one platoon at S.12.a. 70.60. Still in reserve one platoon left centre Company. Battalion HQ’s established at T.7.a. 15.00. Enemy believed to be at S.12.d. 70.20 and S.12.c. 20.20. At 7.50pm remaining reserve platoon sent to assist right Company to hold their line. Instructions sent to A Company not to retire except under pressure and to join up with 9th Norfolk Regiment holding line of railway in S.12.a. if need be. At 8.00pm A Company reported enemy concentrating for an attack on their front and more men urgently needed to help hold his line, all available servants and orderlies were sent forward pending arrival of 12 men asked for from C Company. Eventually enough men were obtained to hold the line continuously, the support platoon of D Company being called upon to fill the gap. Barrage was put down by the artillery and the attack came to nothing. Officer Commanding B Company reported all quiet at 9.20pm. At 9.00pm Brigade Operational Order number 301 was received informing us to hold on to our positions. Casualties, other ranks A Company 3 killed, 25 wounded, 8 missing. B Company 11 wounded. C Company 2 killed, 7 wounded, 1 missing. D Company 2 killed, 1 missing. Casualties, officers Lt. A. Hill killed, Lt. W. Clancey wounded.

The German Lys Offensive

As the weather conditions began to improve after the winter, a second phase of the offensive, codenamed “Operation Georgette” in the German plan was the start of the Battle of the Lys (9 - 29th April 1918). The offensive was launched against the Allied line in the low-lying, British-held sector on both sides of the Lys river in French Flanders. The German objective was the important Allied rail centre of Hazebrouck. If the town could be captured there would be an opportunity to push the German advance further west to reach the French coast and, in so doing, cut off the British, French and Belgian forces holding the Ypres Salient in Belgium.

On the first day the German Sixth Army attack was launched against two divisions of the Portuguese Army (one  in the line and one in reserve) holding the Allied Front Line between La Bassée and Armentières. The Portuguese could not withstand the force of the attack and the Germans captured almost four miles of ground. On the following day, 10th April, the German Fourth Army made an attack a little further to the north against the British Second Army holding the Front Line in Belgian Flanders. The British were pushed back beyond the villages of Messines and Wyteschaete, which they had captured in the successful Battle of Messines (7 - 14th June 1917) almost exactly one year before. The situation for the British was very serious by 12th April, which compelled them, under the leadership of General Plumer, to make tortuous decisions about making tactical withdrawals to positions which could be more easily defended. Passchendaele, the village on the crest of the ridge which had eventually been captured after weeks of terrible fighting in the summer and autumn of 1917, was one of the areas of ground reluctantly given up to the tactical withdrawal.

The German attacks continued against the British line and also against the Belgian Army holding the line north of Ypres but no ground was gained. French reinforcements arrived to support the British defence on the high ground of Mount Kemmel. The Germans attacked these newly arrived French troops on 25 April. By 29 April the German offensive had been blocked and no further attacks were made. The Germans had not captured any of their objectives as the Allies had held onto Hazebrouck and the Channel ports.

Mark,

A lot of the information I've provided relates to possibility rather than definite. I was trying to find an explanation of why (William) Charles doesn't appear on the census.

There is also a fundamental assumption here that the information given by the soldier known as Charles Gaskins was true.

His mother could have been Eliza. I went for that as the first line of enquiry as its the easiest :-). The scenario in which a single parent marries and her child either takes the step-fathers name or gets parcelled out to family \ friends\ commercial fosterers is not uncommon in late Victorian and early Edwardian England. One other piece of local knowledge. The parish of St Mary, Hellesdon also includes Hellesdon Hospital, what was then the County Asylum. It was not unknown for young girls who had been "indiscreet" to be locked away there. The births are normally recorded in the District of St Faiths, where the older part of Hellesdon lies. If there were complications with the birth she might have been moved into the City Norfolk and Norwich Hospital or the Workhouse Hospital, with the birth then recorded in the District of Norwich.

So the first step was to look for a female Gaskins who married in the County of Norfolk between 1891 and 1901. Eliza was the only candidate for that. However the mother of William Charles may have come from elsewhere and moved on, even leaving the country, before she got married.

The next scenario was that the single parent mother had died, leading to William Charles being parcelled out. Again I took a look for Norfolk 1891 to 1901. There were no likely female Gaskins - they were either women over 50 or under 10. Strangely there was an Eliza "Gaskin" who died in the Mitford District of Norfolk in 1894 aged 23. The National Burial Register has her recorded as a "Gaskins". But again its not automatic that the mother of William Charles came from the county nor that the mother died here.

We then get into all kinds of scenario's as to why the census didn't record him - he was abroad or living in circumstances where not being recorded by the authorities was advantageous. Yes he could also have been at sea, but many boats deliberately put to sea in order to avoid the census. Many a skipper made a bit of extra cash by supplementing their crew with individuals who didn't want to be recorded. 

I'll be in the Norwich Forum doing some research during this week so I'll try and track down the Parish records for St Mary to see if I can find a baptism, and of Heckingham to see if I can find a marriage.

The next steps would unfortunately require parting with cash.

The Soldiers Will would confirm his wife and her address, which might clarify the Stockton link.

The marriage certificate would confirm age, occupation, current address and possibly fathers details and occupation.

And finally, if you're sure the right individual has been identified, then the birth certificate to confirm mothers details, date and place of birth.

BTW - A Hilda Gaskins married a Walter J Smith in the Loddon District of Norfolk in 1919. That's the only marriage I could find of a Hilda Gaskins in England and Wales. There is no death of a Hilda Gaskins recorded in England and Wales. Using a birth year calculated from Hilda Randall's age on the censuses I then tried a search to see if I could find a matching death but there were simply too many Hilda Smiths - there were 7 just in Norfolk. I suspect her remarriage relatively soon after her husbands death explains why there don't appear to be any Army Pension records for her - they were probably shredded at some stage before anyone thought of preserving such things for posterity.

Regards,

Peter

Edited by PRC
Typos

Absolutely, I'm running on probability rather than definite so updating as I go.

Have mentioned to my brother about the cost to get the will, not sure if the church will want to spend anything but they might. Certainly the best way to confirm things, likewise the birth and marriage certificates.

I came across this newspaper piece a few months ago, (along with a lot of other things!) and filed it away for future reference \ research.

It was in the "Died of Wounds" section of the Births, Deaths and Marriages notices that appeared in the edition of the Norwich Mercury dated Saturday May 11th 1918. Unfortunately doesn't advance the search for who he was any further, (other than confirming the existence of a wife), but I thought I'd post it to keep things ticking over with this search :-)

I believe it reads

GASKINS. – In loving memory of my dear husband, Private Charles Gaskins (Norfolk Regt.), who died of wounds received in action, 19th April 1918.

“I mourn for him in silence, but not with outward show,

For the heart that mourns sincerely, mourns silently and low.

I know tis soldier’s honour for his country’s cause to fall,

But I fail to see the glory when I’ve lost my one and all.”

From his loving wife.

There is no separate report that I could see in the Norwich Mercury for the rest of May that actually mentions him, so couldn't tie him back to a particular village.  May be something later on, or in one of the other Norfolk papers, but I haven't got that far yet.

Obviously I don't own copyright on the original, so in line with board policy it can only be used for research \ not for profit purposes!

BTW - have you tried asking in the look up section to see if anyone has the 62 CCS records for the period. Even just the OC's report for the day might give you how long Charles was there and where he was admitted from - RAP, Field Ambulance, etc. Its copies of those reports that would have gone to the relevant Regiments records office.

regards,

Peter

Charles Gaskins Death Announcement Norwich Mercury Saturday May 11th 1918.jpg

7 hours ago, Mark Crame said:

Absolutely, I'm running on probability rather than definite so updating as I go.

Have mentioned to my brother about the cost to get the will, not sure if the church will want to spend anything but they might. Certainly the best way to confirm things, likewise the birth and marriage certificates.

I suspect the will and marriage certs would be the only hope.

Craig

I think you're right Craig, it's the only way to confirm and will at least add another couple of bits of information presumably. I'll put it to the church via my brother.

Absolutely stunned at what information has come out of this so far and the personal message from Charles' wife is wonderful. The reality of her love and life reaching across a century...sounds really twee and out of place on here but it really is a surprising and personal 'window'. Peter, you are a star, thank you so much for all your effort!

This already on the forum Peter (nothing specifically related) :

Okay - couple of trips to the Local Studies area of Norwich Forum later its a mixed bag.

I was looking for parish records that might confirm either of the marriages, (Charles to Hilda, or possibly Hilda's subsequent marriage to Walter Smith, which would have confirmed she was a widow, her age, possibly her maiden name and her last address) or more details about the baptism of William. The hope was to save you some cash:-)

There were no parish records held at the Local Studies area for either Heckingham, Hellesdon or Stockton. Another set of document held there is the Bishops Transcripts, (aka Archdeacon Transcripts). These were annual extracts of the Parish Registers covering Births, Deaths and Marriages, signed by the Parish Priest and sent to the Bishops Palace. My understanding is that the Priest had to be licensed by the Bishop to carry out those tasks, and with declining parish populations in some rural areas not all chose to do so. I could find nothing for Hellesdon, only burials for Heckingham, and baptisms and burials for Stockton for the relevant periods I was looking at. There could be more at the County Archive but that's a big scary beast that I've not felt up to taking on yet!

That didn't seem to advance us at all, so I'm afraid I parked your query and went back to doing my own research. Fortunately that included looking at the scanned copies of the Norwich Mercury for April 1919, which uncovered the attached. (Apologies for the low quality of the photo - in my defence it was a very low quality scan to begin with - and of the poetry - this was Hallmark level stuff that you could mix and match from sample books at the Press Office.)

It reads:-

GASKINS, - In loving memory of my dear husband, Private William Charles Gaskins, of Stockton, who was killed in action in France, April 19th 1918.

When last we saw his smiling face

He looked so strong and brave,

We little thought how soon he would,

Be laid in a far off grave.

But could we have raised his dying head,

Or heard his last farewell,

The blow might not have been so hard

To those who loved him well.

………………………From his loving Wife.

That would seem to confirm you have identified the right Charles Gaskins who is commemorated at Stockton.

I also had a look at some of the Service Records I've had cause to download for other Norfolk Regiment men with service numbers close to 18468 Charles Gaskins. He seems to have been in a batch that's runs from 18463 John T Carter to 18483 George E Woolley and who are more of less in alphabetical order.

18462 Walter Richard Cook attested on the 21st January 1915 at Norwich. He was a married Labourer from Thorpe Market, Norfolk. He was posted to the Depot 22-1-15 / 10th Bn 29-1-15 (at Walton then Colchester)/ 9th Bn 7-10-15 (landed in France). He would Died of Wounds in France & Flanders 3-10-17.

18478 Henry Turner attested on the 21st January 1915 at Norwich. He was a married Bricklayer from Southrepps, Norfolk. He was posted to the Depot 22-1-15 / 10th Bn 29-1-15 / 3rd Bn 10-6-15. Found not fit for service (long term pre-existing disability) and discharged from the Army on the 1-7-16.

I would image Charles Gaskins military career probably followed a similar pattern to Walter Cook, (someone with access to the Medal Rolls on Ancestry will be able to confirm if he saw active service with any other Battalion of the unit). The 10th Battalion at first provided replacement drafts to the other Service Battalions   - the 7th, 8th and 9th. The 9th Battalion had seen their first action on the 26th September 1915 when they marched all day, unfed, before being chucked straight into the attack at Hulluch Quarries. This unwise action cost the unit 39 other ranks killed, 122 wounded and 34 missing. The draft from the 10th Battalion that arrived in France on the 7th October would have been a backfill for those losses.

The 9th Battalion War Diary for the 8th October 1915, when they were at Poperinghe, records the arrival of 150 O.R. By the 16th October the battalion O.R. strength was back up to 1,093.

Not sure I can add much more, but I'll bear Charles (& Stockton) in mind as I keep wading through the newspaper archive,

regards,

Peter

William Charles Gaskins of Stockton Norwich Mercury April 19 1919.jpg

That's unbelievable! You've found more gold than I could have imagined! Thank you so much.

I'm waiting on the wardens re covering costs of the will. I'm also wondering if they have any records there for the period. I'm off shift now so will attempt to get some answers and input from them. 

Thanks again!

Regards

Mark

Oh, the enlistment date matches the 39 months previously found.

One last thought (for now :-)

I've only recently become aware that some of the local Norfolk Libraries hold scanned records of local papers that aren't held at the Local Studies section at the Forum, (I don't know what the situation is with regards to the County Archive). There may be something similar in Suffolk. I suspect both Bungay and Beccles would have had local newspapers and they may well give more coverage to the local villages than the Norwich based papers would have done. May be worth phoning the Library branches to check it out and see if its worth a visit - also nearer than going to the County Archive in Ipswich! Might be easier to track down a marriage notice from 1913, and mentions of things like enlistment, home leave, etc as well as reports of death, remarriage of wife. Would possibly help confirm, for example, if the marriages took place in a Registry Office removing the need to hunt for parish records.

Good luck with your search,

regards,

Peter