The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Fortunate purchase

keithmroberts

I'm still full of cold although the muscular issues from my recent visit to Macedonia have worn off. However I made the effort today to drive to The New Forest Book Fair. My last forays to that event had proved fruitless, but today I came away with the original 2 volumes of "The Die Hards in the Great War" in good condition (edge foxing only),  for £30, and better still the 1914 Volume 1 maps for Military Operations France and Belgium, with all 34 maps for £22. OK the case is rubbed at a couple of the corners, but I can live with that. I didn't expect to see an asking price much below £50 for that.

Chuffed of Pompey

Yes, good buys.

Congratulations, but isn't that  Great War related? You'll get told off by the Mods.Oh.

Nice!

16 hours ago, paulgranger said:

Congratulations, but isn't that  Great War related? You'll get told off by the Mods.Oh.

I have moved this thread to the Books section

Cheers Martin B

Kind thought Martin, but I posted it in Skindles as an item that I didn't think merited a permanent life here. Now I'll have to remember to delete it in a few weeks.

Keith

No doubt with half a dozen threads of National Importance.

1 hour ago, IPT said:

Yes, is it wise to let Mr Roberts near the delete button again?

I think he's had his tea.

Will you have them for resale for your usual modest price at next year's Conference, Keith?

Cheers Martin B

The delete button has its temptations,  the nuclear option looms.

Martin, maybe, I have some things to look up in the Middlesex history, and one in particular might well benefit from Mons mapping. After that,  quite possibly.  I ahve been lashing out a bit woldly on books in recent weeks, although these two were certainly the bargains.

I too have been lashing out on books very cheaply recently, got a full set of Krieg zur See for 750 Euros except for 2 vols, which was an exceptional bargain, the volumes produced after 1945 are mint, and 500 for 16 WW2 Indian Official History including Arakan, North Africa, Italy, Eastern Theater and western theater, most in dj another bargain. To balance it out I am buying a set of Great War Italian OH's, wonderful but requiring a second mortgage.