The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

"BATTLE OF ARRAS".

steve140968

<_< CAN ANYBODY PLEASE HELP ME ? I have just researched my grandfathers war history at the national archives , and i am a little confused . It seems he was wounded on the 24th of april 1917 at Arras whilst serving with the Middlesex regiment . It seems he enlisted with the 6th battalion , but was wounded whilst serving with the 16th battalion . Was the 6th a reserve battalion as i see no mention of it anywhere , and did the 16th do battle on this date at Arras , or is it simply an error ? CONFUSED- SO AM I ! I would be extremely grateful if any of you "MIDDLESEX REGIMENT" experts out there can put me out my misery , cheers .

Steve .

(Attleborough , Norfolk).

Steve, I`m no Middlesex expert, but:-

6Bn Middlesex was a Reserve Bn.

In April 1917, 16 Bn (Public Schools) Middlesex Regt were in 86 Brig, 29 Div. The other 2 brigades attacked on 23/4/17 in the 2nd battle of the Scarpe, while the 1 R Dub Fus of 86 brig attacked on the 24/4/17. I would guess that 16 Midd were close up or in support. Phil B

;) Hi Phil B ,

thanks for your reply . It would seem that my grandfather may have been posted to the 16th(s) battalion Middlesex on or around 1/1/1917 so this probably ties in with what you have said .Any idea Phil what the (s) after 16th stands for , could it be something to do with public schools as you said ? 16th battalion (public schools) seems a strange name , has anybody some background information on this battalion please ? It seems that my grandfather was in France between the dates 2/1/1917 - 5/5/1917 when i assume he was transferred back home . Has anyone got any idea what the 16th(s) battalion Middlesex were up to between 2/1/1917 and 24/4/1917 when my grandfather was wounded , thanks again Phil .

Steve.

(Attleborough , Norfolk).

.Any idea Phil what the (s) after 16th stands for , could it be something to do with public schools as you said ?

Steve.

The "s" stands for "service" (ie "New Army") battalion.

I've answered the rest of your question regarding movements on your other thread. Basically, they were at Orange Hill/Monchy le Preux near Arras on the day your GF "stopped one".

Dave.

;) Thanks for your help Dave . You seem extremely knowledgable on the subject , where do you get all this information ???

Steve.

where do you get all this information ???

Aha! now that would be telling!!! <_<

Dave.

(From the regimental history which is heavily based on the war diaries)

;) Cheers Dave .

Steve.

<_< Can anybody please shed some light on the 2nd battle of the Scarpe . For example , which other regiments were involved , and what was the outcome of the battle ? Does anyone know the number of casualtys the 16th battalion Middlesex regiment suffered during this battle ? Thanks in advance for any help .

Steve.