The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

"An Army of Brigadiers"

Steven Broomfield

Just browsing the Helion on-line catalogue (Mrs B is out of the room - I'm safe) and came across this one: "An Army of Brigadiers" which examines the role, backgrounds, etc, of British Brigade commanders at Arras. 

Has anyone read this (if there's a review somewhere, I apologise, but couldn't find one): my question is really whether the book covers Cavalry brigade commanders, or sticks with the foot-sloggers.

Anyone help?

Hi Steven,

The book in question is based upon Harvey's 2015 University of Birmingham PhD thesis, which is available to view as an 'e-thesis' at the university's 'bham.ac.uk' website.

Andy

Trevor Harvey is the current chairman of Heart of England WFA. His contact details are given in the WFA's  "Bulletin". 

2 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

The book is due to go from the printer to the distributors next week i.e. wc 8 May 2017. The analysis presented in Chapter 1 is based on all 116 BGs whose brigades, cavalry and infantry, played some/any part in the Battle of Arras. The five case studies, however, are all of infantry brigade GOCs, their staffs and their battalion COs over the period Oct 1916 to May 1917 - i.e. BGs F O W Loomis, H Pelham Burn, R O Kellett, A B E Cator and N J G Cameron.

I shall be speaking about the topic at the WFA President's Conference at Tally Ho! on 3 June 2017. Copies of the book will be on sale at a discount on the day. I hope this information is helpful

Trevor Harvey 

Thanks Trevor. Much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a review copy inbound, and have seen an advance copy. Well worth the effort of reading.

Looking forward to it.

• 5 months later...

I have now read the book and found much of interest in it. With corps, divisional, and battalion commanders having been examined, it was inevitable that brigade commanders should come under the microscope. Trevor Harvey's approach is to look at those commanding brigades in the BEF during the April 1917 Battle of Arras. Among his findings are that while their average age in 1914 was 49, by spring 1917 it was down  to 41. Less than 20 per cent had attended Staff College and not all had commanded a battalion prior to taking over a brigade. Surprisingly few of this cohort were sacked. Perhaps this is because the major weeding out had taken place on the Somme the previous year.

The author then goes on to examine the performance of five brigadiers - one Canadian and four British. - during the Battle of Arras.  What comes out very clearly is the need for thorough preparation for the battle, This includes reconnaissance ( the brigadiers were not to averse to visiting the trenches) and training. A good relationship with the divisional commander clearly helped, but so did having a relable Brigade Major and Staff Captain. Likewise, it was important to have battalion commanders who could be trusted and brigadiers  certainly did not hesitate to sack those who did not come up to the mark. 

Perhaps the most important question to answer was whether the brigadiers were only a mere conduit for orders?   The answer to this is in the negative. The brigade commanders could exert influence in the battle, not least in objecting to orders from on high which they considered bore little chance of success. They were therefore a vital element in the chain of command. Trevor Harvey does, however, state that it would be very worthwhile to compare this cohort with that of the 100 Days, when there was more scope for initative than in trench to trench attacks.

This is a very valuable addition to the historiography of the British Army in the Great War and I much recommend it.

Charles M   

Edited by charlesmessenger

Thank you, Charles.

Looks like it will find a place on the forthcoming Festive list.

1 hour ago, charlesmessenger said:

The brigade commanders could exert influence in the battle, not least in objecting to orders from on high which they considered bore little chance of success. They were therefore a vital element in the chain of command. 

Charles M   

Thanks, Charles. Considering that there are 5 links in the chain from CinC to Battalion Commander, it seems improbable that each was allowed much latitude for objection. What makes the brigadier link vital?

Phil

Simply that the brigade commander was closest to the troops and, if respected by his superiors, was likely to be listened to.

Charles M

Charles, thanks for the review, I'm very interested in Arras and was wondering which are the brigades featured in the case studies, or would that spoil the suspense? I have an interest in 2nd Royal Welsh, famously including Sassoon and Richards, and 5th Scottish Rifles who included a man called James Roy who wasn't quite as famous. His battalion was attached to 98 Brigade under Heriot-Maitland on 23rd April when he was mortally wounded.

If he features I might get the book soon, otherwise like Mr B I might leave it until the celebration of the midwinter solstice. Unfortunately my pile of books to read is now so massive it has started to develop its own gravitational field, the bedroom furniture is being drawn towards it, and adding to it might warp space and time with unexpected consequences......

Pete.

£26.95 from Helion, but £18.25 from A****n. I have booked it for my extending X*** wish list. I am interested in Kellett, who was Brigadier for 99th Brigade of the 2nd Division.

Donald, top tip. If I avoid sweets and comics for a month or so I might be able to scrape the necessary tariff together.

Pete.

I would also take a visit to Ikea and enquire about anti gravitational bedroom furniture. Other well known furniture retailers are also available B)

32 minutes ago, Donald D said:

I would also take a visit to Ikea and enquire about anti gravitational bedroom furniture. Other well known furniture retailers are also available B)

Another top tip Donald, but I find that my local IKEA is so confusing I suspect it is governed by bizarre quantum mechanical effects. I've rather lost touch with gravitational theory recently and I'm not sure if the furniture is being drawn towards the books or the books are accelerating towards the furniture. I better check before trying to self assemble bookcases, especially as I have found that the instructions require a working knowledge of structural engineering and a smattering of Serbo-Croat.

If the book doesn't include the brigade that I'm interested in I might leave getting it until next year's GWF conference where Helion usually have a stand selling their titles. You have the added advantage/disadvantage of being harangued by/being able to harangue Pete Hart.

Pete.

26 minutes ago, Donald D said:

I don't think Ikea sell Brodies :ph34r:

I wouldn't be able to find them if they did.......

I'm not allowed in Ikea: apparently (according to Mrs Broomfield) my incipient claustrophobia would result in a panic attack in their somewhat restrictive ambience.

On 11/3/2017 at 19:34, Fattyowls said:

Charles, thanks for the review, I'm very interested in Arras and was wondering which are the brigades featured in the case studies, or would that spoil the suspense? I have an interest in 2nd Royal Welsh, famously including Sassoon and Richards, and 5th Scottish Rifles who included a man called James Roy who wasn't quite as famous. His battalion was attached to 98 Brigade under Heriot-Maitland on 23rd April when he was mortally wounded.

If he features I might get the book soon, otherwise like Mr B I might leave it until the celebration of the midwinter solstice. Unfortunately my pile of books to read is now so massive it has started to develop its own gravitational field, the bedroom furniture is being drawn towards it, and adding to it might warp space and time with unexpected consequences......

Pete.

Pete

I regret that there is no mention of Heriot-Maitland, apart from in the appendices. The five brigadiers covers in detai are Loomis (2 Can Bde), Pelham Burn (152 Bde), Kellett (99 Bde), Cator (37 Bde) and Cameron (151 Bde).

Charles M

2 hours ago, charlesmessenger said:

Pete

I regret that there is no mention of Heriot-Maitland, apart from in the appendices. The five brigadiers covers in detai are Loomis (2 Can Bde), Pelham Burn (152 Bde), Kellett (99 Bde), Cator (37 Bde) and Cameron (151 Bde).

Charles M

Much appreciated Charles. I'm still going to get it but I'll revert to plan B and look for it on the Helion stall at next year's conference. I am becoming more and more fascinated by Arras, I'm starting to think it was the worst battle the British and dominion forces were involved in.

Pete.