The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1st Battalion Yorks and Lancs

Guest Steve Dalton

Guest Steve Dalton

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any information about the battles, movements etc regarding this unit. I've just started trying to research my Grandfather, Walter Dalton, who was injured in one of the battle of the Somme. He survived but never really talked about it to my dad. I would really appreciate any info that you can tell me,

Many Thanks,

Welcome to the forum, Steve. Best advice: go to the first item on this forum, which is entitled "For new members: READ THIS if you have recently registered to join the forum, and before you make your first posting". Then find your way to the specific advice in the section called "Grandads War" on the Long, Long Trail website.

Hello Steve

Are you sure about the battalion of the York and Lancs that your grandad was in. I ask because the 1/Y&L were part of the 83rd Bde., 28th Div. The 28th Div. arrived in France in January 1915 and fought in the 2nd Battle of Ypres and Loos. In late October early November 1915 the Division moved to Salonika where it stayed for the remainder of the war and never played any part in the battles on the Somme.

http://www.1914-1918.net/28div.htm

Andy

Guest Steve Dalton

I may be wrong, but I know he served in India before the onset of WWI, and according to the History that I have read it was the first battalion that was out in India not the second. Maybe I was wrong about what battle he was injured in, but that was what my father told me.

All interesting stuff!