The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Medal Forfeited For Being Underage? WW1

womo

Hi Guys,

Im researching a WW1 group which clearly states the chap being sent overseas in 1915 and the award of the 15 star.

There is no star and on his MIC it states      Retd (992.K.R.1923) 842 Adt.

I know my chap was too young to serve and was returned home before re-signing back up.

Thanks

Womo

9 minutes ago, womo said:

Hi Guys,

Im researching a WW1 group which clearly states the chap being sent overseas in 1915 and the award of the 15 star.

There is no star and on his MIC it states      Retd (992.K.R.1923) 842 Adt.

I know my chap was too young to serve and was returned home before re-signing back up.

Thanks

Womo

I think that means it was returned  - the kings regs apparently say

Kings Regulation 1923
990. Medals left behind by a soldier who absents himself without leave, and is declared by a court of enquiry to be illegally absent, will be forwarded to the officer i/c of records. If the man does not rejoin within one year, the medals will be disposed of as unclaimed.
991. An officer in charge of medals will arrange for their safe custody and will account for them as public stores in accordance with such instructions as may be issued from time to time by the Army Council.
992. Medals which, at the end of one year, still remain unclaimed, will be sent to the Secretary, The War Office.

A soldier's medals would be issued automatically so I suspect it was possibly returned and then never claimed.

Who is he ?

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

21 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

I think that means it was returned  - the kings regs apparently say

Kings Regulation 1923
990. Medals left behind by a soldier who absents himself without leave, and is declared by a court of enquiry to be illegally absent, will be forwarded to the officer i/c of records. If the man does not rejoin within one year, the medals will be disposed of as unclaimed.
991. An officer in charge of medals will arrange for their safe custody and will account for them as public stores in accordance with such instructions as may be issued from time to time by the Army Council.
992. Medals which, at the end of one year, still remain unclaimed, will be sent to the Secretary, The War Office.

A soldier's medals would be issued automatically so I suspect it was possibly returned and then never claimed.

Who is he ?

Craig

Hi Craig,    12918 Pte Sam Seal Manchester Regiment.

Im finding it odd it was never claimed as he received his LSGC and went on to serve in WW2 after being commissioned.

Mark

Edited by womo

1 minute ago, womo said:

Hi Craig,    12918 Pte Sam Seal Manchester Regiment.

Im finding it odd it was never claimed as he received his LSGC and went on to serve in WW2 after being commissioned.

Mark

If it was issued to an old address and returned then, if he thought he wasn't entitled, he may never have realised.

Craig

Hi,

You may find this topic helpful. If you are a NOK you may be able to have the Medal issued now.

Good Luck

Steve Y

Soldiers sent over seas, proved to be underage always qualified for medals when eligible.

Edited by yellow

Where does it give the information about him going overseas etc ?

Craig

He has service papers which show that he went abroad 31/12/1915 (or 1/1/1916 on his Casualty Form) and was sent home 19/1/16. His Service Summary only shows entitlement to Victory and BWM.  He signed for receipt of his BWM and Victory in March 1922.

4 minutes ago, IPT said:

He has service papers which show that he went abroad 31/12/1915 (or 1/1/1916 on his Casualty Form) and was sent home 19/1/16. His Service Summary only shows entitlement to Victory and BWM.  He signed for receipt of his BWM and Victory in March 1922.

Right on the cusp - seems like 1/1/16 must have been taken to be the date he landed as I think he'd have just edged the Star as 31/12/15.

Craig

It's odd because his MIC shows 31/12/1915, his Statement of Services shows BEF 31/12/1915, but his Casualty Form shows that he embarked Folkestone 1/1/1916 and arrived Etaples 2/1/1916.

30 minutes ago, IPT said:

It's odd because his MIC shows 31/12/1915, his Statement of Services shows BEF 31/12/1915, but his Casualty Form shows that he embarked Folkestone 1/1/1916 and arrived Etaples 2/1/1916.

I wonder if it's the old case of departing & landing (I saw it a lot with the DLI as they passed midnight whilst at sea). Perhaps further inquires were carried out to determine exactly when he landed.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

• 6 years later...

been a few years since this chat was last active, however I am researching an underage soldier who appears to have forfeited a 14/15 Star. He is born in 1899 and gives an October 1897 date of birth on enlistment (meaning he was 14 when enlisted in 1914!). 

As seen below he is in France 30 December 1915, and then sent home 16 August 1916 (confirmed on other sheets). 

Obviously 30/12/15 is close to the cut off, but it is within the qualifying period. What interests me in the star annotated next to '1914-15 Star', what does this mean? I can find no further reference to a 14/15 Star being awarded. 

Has anyone seen this star annotation before, if so do you know what it means?

Thanks

image.png.1806f3e68635928f7cccbb648cdcf79f.png

image.png.f8348dc236e2fcc0cc5c7a004b84b2d8.png

image.png.396280a6dc827870ba45afbbc32bb3c2.png