The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Casement, Irish PoWs and the Germans

Hedley Malloch

Does anyone know of any books, in English or German, which deal with Roger Casement's attempts to lure Irish PoWs into fighting for the Germans?  I am particularly interested in how the Germans reacted to this.

Many thanks in advance.

This is a post from Archangel about a year ago....

At Limburg the Germans grouped together men from Irish regiments. The fact that a lot of these men were not even Irish seems to have escaped them. Also the mood amongst the Irish contingent was misjudged and very few actually joined the Irish Brigade. In April 1915 Casement wrote to Count Wedel - 

"......I have just got a letter from Father Nicholson (5 April) in which, speaking of the removal of the three young Corporals from the Camp, he says; - 'The British flunkeys in the camp are furious and endeavouring more than ever to terrorise those over whom they can exercise any control.' "

He includes a list of "men who are either not Irish at all, or are so strongly Pro-British that they seriously hinder the effort to form an Irish Brigade" He suggests the men on his list should be removed from Limburg.

Source: Prelude to the Easter Rising by Reinhard R. Doerries

Richard: Many thanks - I shall try and find a copy of your book.

Ghazala: 

At Limburg the Germans grouped together men from Irish regiments. The fact that a lot of these men were not even Irish seems to have escaped them

Yes - I wonder if the Germans were baffled by the recruitment patterns in the WW1 British army - Irish soldiers in non-Irish regiments, non-Irish soldiers in Irish regiments.  Recruitment into the German armies appear to have been much more regional, possibly owning to conscription.