The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Letters of Condolence

fadedgenes

I saw some postings recently on the subject of letters of condolence sent to next of kin by officers.

I have found the following which was sent by an NCO

"In conveying the sad news of his death to the parents, Lance-Corporal A. Twelftree observes: “Please accept my deepest sympathy, also that of the men of our Company, in your great bereavement. We all mourn the loss of a splendid comrade - one who was always willing and ready to help anyone in trouble. He did his duty to the very end.... God bless Charles’ memory and may he R. I. P. I feel as if I have lost a brother.”

Whilst an officer might have considered it "part of the job" to send such a letter, this letter obviously seems a very genuine expression of how the "lads" in the unit felt, and must have been treasured by the next of kin.

Regards

Dave

Second Lieutenant Trevor Allington Crosland was born 28 December 1896 of prosperous parents. His father was a woollen manufacturer, and they lived at Birkley Grange, Birkley, Huddersfield. Young Crosland attended Harrow 1911 to 1914 and Sandhurst [RMC] and was commissioned into RWF 11 August 1915. He was sent to the 2nd Battalion, and joined on 6 June next year. He had three weeks to live. Trevor was appointed to B Company, whose fate it was to be in the line when the largest German mine of the war exploded under them at what was subsequently called Red Dragon Crater. His Commanding Officer, Lieutenant Colonel 'Tibs' Crawshay wrote to Crosland senior:

‘….. he was a splendid boy and one of the sort we can ill spare. On night 21/22 at 2AM the enemy blew an enormous mine. I regret to say that the trench, in which your son was, was blown up. I am sad to say our casualties were heavy for the mine. They then attacked us after an intense barrage, but got badly defeated, leaving a certain number of dead in our trenches. It is really too sad, we all miss him, and everyone was very fond of him. I am afraid you will feel it very much. It will be some satisfaction to you to know he was a real soldier and leader of men. You will remember me – you brought your boy to see me when he joined. Knowing you as I do, and having seen you both together, my sympathy goes out more than I can say. I voice the opinion of my regiment. Tibs Crawshay.’

Trevor received three other tributes. Two were from his Divisional General and from the Colonel of the Royal Welch Fusiliers. The third came from an unexpected source. Sergeant Roderick DCM wrote that

‘ ….. it seemed so hard that he should be taken from us so unexpectedly and on his first time in trenches. I am an old soldier, at least for the present time, and quite knew the value of your son. He showed great fortitude to fight, and I am sure he would have made a name for himself had he been spared’.

Trevor Allington Crosland’s body was discovered in an isolated unmarked grave or cavity, with another officer who was subsequently identified as Captain Price-Edwards, on 1 July 1925 [the date is that provided by CWGC, at odds with the 'The War the Infantry Knew' year of 1926]. Both these officers were re-interred at Cabaret Rouge British Military Cemetery. The bundle of personal effects sent to Crosland senior was listed:

· gold wrist watch

· 2 pocket photo frames

· 1 cigar case

· bundle of letters

· cloth star

His data are on NA folder WO 339 34839.

from my 'Duty Done'.