The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

enlistment procedures

Guest gwynne

:( hi, im looking into my family's war experiences.......... would 3 brothers all go into the same regiment??? the eldest boy george smith gave his address on his marriage cert as 2/6 duke of wellingtons regm the camp babworth retford......... the next arthur died of gas damage shortly after the war......... and the youngest gilbert returned and died somehwer in the 1960s...... i would appreciate any lead that cna start me off....... thanks gwynne (tasmanian)

A good starting point is 'Cravens Part in the Great War' which was compiled by the editor of the Craven Herald (if memory serves) and funded by Walter Morrison. Photos, dob, address, unit, details of death etc... a very useful publication. Covers 6th btns. DWR.

It depends where and when they enlisted as to what regiment they were likely to go into. They could of course have been posted where they were most needed.

If you post there full names here, I'll look them up in my copy.

I have several cases of Holmfirth brothers joining the Duke of Wellington's together during 1914/15, and Skipton is in the area of the 1/6th and 2/6th Battalions, but they could have been sent anywhere, especially later in the war. Arthur's obituary in his local paper will probably mention his brothers as well as his own service, but it is pot luck on how much detail is given.

Tony.

The following are extracts from Cravens Part in the Great War and include the nominal roll for 2/6th DWR. There is also a list for 1/6th DWR if you really need it.

The nominal roll comes out as a mush when scanned I'm afraid but the Smiths from 2/6th DWR are...

A Coy.

Pte. R. Smith

Pte. W. Smith

Pte. C. Smith

Pte. J. Smith

Pte. H.H. Smith

Pte. G.R. Smith

Pte. W. Smith

A.L/Cpl. J. Smith

Pte. R. Smith

Pte. J.A. Smith

Pte. G.R. Smith (again?)