The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help Needed on Arm Badge

It's a cursive 'LG' within a wreath, Mollie, to mark his qualification as a trained 'Lewis Gunner' (which was a light machine gun with a circular feed 'drum' magazine on the top).

Unfortunately I can't discern the unit shoulder title, although its curvature suggests a County title.  There is no 'T' above it to indicate a Territorial unit, but these tended to be omitted during the last 2-years of the war anyway, as men of all categories became mixed within units.

06AFD0D6-5372-41CB-9CC4-8380E24BEAFC.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

and certainly of the Great War era as he has a "Wound Stripe" below his Good  Conduct Chevron on his lower left arm. These were authorised in July 1916 and were awarded for each wound received. 

Edited by Toby Brayley

2 minutes ago, Toby Brayley said:

and certainly of the Great War era as he has a "Wound Stripe" below his Good  Conduct Chevron on his lower left arm. These were authorised in July 1916 and were awarded for each wound received. 

His possession of a good conduct badge (stripe) is also more commensurate with a regular soldier, although I recall that sometime in 1916 these were opened up to men who enlisted as Territorials too.

Later in the war, around late 17 IIRC the inverted chevron were also awarded for meritorious acts. Something that wasn't considered worthy of a medal but still noteworthy.

R

That's a new one on me, I thought that was what the M.I.D was for. 

Edited by Toby Brayley

I didn't know that, either.

I would be very surprised if such a policy ever existed and in 40-years of research have never heard of it.  Stranger things have happened but one would need evidence as there would be great confusion about usage.

Is it possible that he's wearing a dark cloth patch on his right arm at the top: one thinks of battle patches etc.? Might be easier to see on the original.