The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sniper shield

pioneecorps

I have a sniper shield which I put up stares in my little den about 17 years ago, this was when I was a lot fitter that what I am now, I have picked it up but feel unsure of carrying it down stares then out the garden to take pictures of it, So I thought first, I would ask a question, is there a way of telling the difference of a British sniper shield to a German one. Any help on this will be appreciated 

Gerwyn

Hi Gerwyn,

I suggest, as a starting point, that you do a computer search using something like "Great War sniping shields" as that will turn up quite a lot including, in all probability, some threads on this Forum.

Regards,

Michael.  

Hi Michael,

Thank you for getting back to me on this, I will do as you have said, and will do a in search in Great War sniping shields.

Kind regards.

Gerwyn

I borrowed this photo off  James Blonde who's a member on this forum, hope you don't mind James, I now know its a German sniper shield, mines in good solid condition, the shutter operates but the support leg as no movement due to being rusted. I was at the time thinking of having it shot blasted, and try and free the support leg, 

Thank you again Michael for your kind help.

Gerwyn

post-18479-1169410904.jpg

Edited by pioneecorps

Try 'Plusgas' releasing fluid + gently tapping with a rubber mallet, should work.

Mike.

Hi Gerwyn,

I'm glad you found something of interest.  If you need the support to work I agree with Mike's suggestion but would leave it at that.  Harsher treatment, such as shot blasting, will remove original paint and/or other markings, if any remain, and may well devalue the shield. 

Regards,

Michael.

12 hours ago, pioneecorps said:

I borrowed this photo off  James Blonde who's a member on this forum, hope you don't mind James, I now know its a German sniper shield, mines in good solid condition, the shutter operates but the support leg as no movement due to being rusted. I was at the time thinking of having it shot blasted, and try and free the support leg, 

Thank you again Michael for your kind help.

Gerwyn

post-18479-1169410904.jpg

Interesting picture that, it appears they have placed the shields the wrong way round. The curved lip was (I always believed) placed facing the enemy so bullet fragments would be deflected away from your lines. I'd welcome clarification from anyone who can say for sure which way these should be faced. My own example does not have a shutter plate so I'm not sure which way they went.

I concur with SRD regarding the shields used back to front. Attached is an extract from 'Recent Improvements added to the Equipment of the German Infantry, March 28th, 1915'  issued in October 1915. Note there are different types.

5965d456dd0ee_germaninfshield001mod.jpg.5150e06d5fd17a07c8edfd9c83ef4e1f.jpg

5965d45ae140a_germaninfshield001.jpg.5c2e3fa0903dd3db35abde7e16cff92a.jpg

5965d45fc53ec_germaninfshield002.jpg.dbb7d0002f14e5aaaa396f4603704e10.jpg

5965d48da7566_germaninfshield003.jpg.c7e0445e08b0f2ae924b3e5fec047524.jpg

5965d4d41ddb8_shield2.jpg.5d31085b219bdd240a759f1c025cbb13.jpg

5965d4d807d02_shields1.jpg.f2a670d16986500c322ddc02233ab960.jpg

Thank you Mike, ServiceRumDiluted and Chris, for your further information on the sniper shield, this as added interest to a item I found, and apart from one exhibition as not been out of my den, 

This is the best that I can take a photo of it, in my little den

SHIELD1.JPG.1fa4cf7a568d34895dfe37a7c547b9c5.JPG

SHIELD2.JPG.b66c36b230f488015fbabbec9e91a55c.JPG

Looks to be the German version from the shape of that cover and the flanges! No sign of the maker's mark, as referenced in post no. 8? Whatever, a nice one!

Hi trajan

Thank you, its back against the wall where its been for many years, and it was a struggle to put it back there due to my fingers not wanting to grip, like they once did.

Gerwyn 

Gerwyn,

Purely out of interest, there is an an exactly similar shield currently for sale on ebay, the vendor is asking £163.00 plus carriage.

Mike.

Hi Mike

Bit pricey to me, but if the vendor a dealer then it would be. just did a search on ebay, but I and I cant find the £163 with postage, there were a couple from the same dealer around the £100 mark, plus £13.20 postage.

Gerwyn

Gerwyn,

The one I found is in Minsk Belarus, shipping would add £80!  (ebay ref. 263013646974)

Mike.