The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Activities of the British Community in Argentina During the Great War

Cymro

I was wondering if anyone here had a copy of this book and if so would it be possible check if there is a photograph of a Lt/Capt James Howells there?  He's a local boy to me (Neath) and if there is one I might be persuaded to buy a copy.

Thanks very much to anyone who may be able to help.

Jon

Hi Terry. Helpful, as always - thanks. Disappointingly he's not on that site, which is strange as he was an officer. I know the book is steep but If he's in there I would buy one. Gulp.

I've come across Roll of Honour pictures on FindMyPast which I believe came from a book called British in Argentina. Unfortunately I only have access via the local library so can't readily check if your man is in there - (the pictures appear to be in alphabetical order and the man I was interested in was called Peskett so no cause to go anywhere near the H's !)

regards,

Peter

2 hours ago, Cymro said:

I was wondering if anyone here had a copy of this book and if so would it be possible check if there is a photograph of a Lt/Capt James Howells there?  He's a local boy to me (Neath) and if there is one I might be persuaded to buy a copy.

Thanks very much to anyone who may be able to help.

Jon

Hi Jon,

The book to which you refer only has photos of those who died during the Great War.  Captain James Howells receives a mention in the roll as having served with the Royal Engineers--sadly that is all there is.

Robert

There's my answer Robert. Not the one I was hoping for but thanks very much for clarifying. The search for one of him continues!

Activities of the British Community in Argentina During the Great War 1914-1919 is available as transcriptions and images on findmypast

http://search.findmypast.com.au/search-world-records/british-in-argentina-1914-1919

You can scroll from one page of the images to the next, and the names on any photographs appear to show up in the search, as a "test" search for Anderson, found a page of photographs (page 57)

Cheers

Maureen