The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Third line territorial units for RA and RE

Wienand Drenth

Dear all,

Regarding the Territorial Force I have a hopefully easy question.

Much had been published on the infantry and the yeomanry of the TF, and we all know that most, if not all, battalions formed a second line battalion first, and a third line afterwards; some even provided a fourth battalion. Same applies to the yeomanry of course.

However, it is a bit difficult to find anything on 3rd line units for the RA and RE. Second line units are documented of course, in Becke e.g.. Sometimes a third line unit appears in literature such as Becke's, but only when on active service, whilst I am referring to the reserve units of course!

My common sense tells me they were formed, but I cannot find anything. The odd thing is that with the renumbering in Feb. 1917 of the Field Companies (400+ series) several numbers were not used (according to a document found at Orbat.com). A little wishfull thinking shows that the "missing" reserve/third line companies fit nicely into those places in some instances, but not all unfortunately.

Any information will be appreciated, and would love to solve this "problem"!

Best wishes,

Wienand

49th Division produced a duplicate 62nd Div. with it's TF Howitzer brigade being the 3rd line RFA recruits from Otley and Ilkley in West Yorkshire. So, not a reserve unit, a very active one, just under another name that you might not be familiar with. It was the 2nd West Riding Div. which gives you a clue.

I am aware of this duplicate of course. What I am interested in are those brigades and battalions that were formed after the 2nd line and served as a reserve for the two lines serving overseas.

Those in the infantry are well known, these being (in most cases) the 3/xth battalion, which became "Reserve" battalions later.

Wienand