The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte and L/cpl at the same time?

SharonWitherden

George Hill 2nd bat Worcester regiment. 9821.

I have a photo of my great grandfather on his wedding day - July 19th 1918 - held at the British Embassy in Boulogne. His uniform shows a L/cpl stripe yet his marriage certificate gives his rank as Pte.

His MM card- Gazette date 17 Dec 1917- lists him as a L/cpl, but his other medal card - for the Victory and British medals- lists him as a Pte.

Was the L/cpl a field rank?

Not sure what you mean by a field rank. Lance Corporals were Privates appointed LCpl, were either unpaid if surplus to numbers allowed, or paid if within the allowance. As the most junior NCOs, they could be reduced to the ranks as easily as they were appointed. The first substantive rank in the infantry was Corporal. Similarly, LSgts were Cpls appointed lLsgt and could, 'just like that', be reverted. None of which explains BWM and VM holding different versions.

Thanks for the reply.

I thought that maybe he was given the role of L/cpl on the battlefield but was still listed as a Pte.

From your reply, as he wasn't a full corporal maybe they thought he should be listed as a Pte?

His medal card for the British and Victory medals doesn't have a date on it. Did they award these as soon as they qualified for one? In this case, on arriving in France in 1916, he may have still been a Pte, with the promotiion coming later?

I find this a bit odd Sharon. The rank on the certificate would, I assume, have been put on by the vicar after the ceremony. The information would, presumably, have been given to him by the soldier. If I`d been the soldier, and had one stripe up (Local Acting Unpaid or whatever) I`d have given my rank as L/Cpl. It`s possible the vicar didn`t ask, or that the soldier was a private when he arranged the ceremony and gave that rank then. :) Phil B

Hi There, :)

I think the reason , is likely to be the exact reason that you have said Sharon. His entitlement for his BWM and Victory Medal would have been when he first went abroad. So as in 1918 he was a L/Corp he was very unlikely to have been one for very long as it was only a temporary rank. So as far as his Marriage Certificate he was really a Private in official terms.

Cheers

Tim.

The British War and Victory medals were named to the highest rank the soldier held in a theatre of war. Lance ranks were appointments so normally would not appear on these medals. The MM would be named to whatever rank or appointment held by the soldier at the time of performing his deed.

As ever there are exceptions...

Steve

as it was only a temporary rank.

I don't think LCpl was ever a "temporary rank".

Depends how well you behaved as a L/Cpl!!! :lol:

Dave. (the first time I was made L/Cpl it was only temporary - a beer fuelled escapade involving a burning mattress made sure of that!!!! :lol: )