The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2 Really Interesting New Maggs Catalaogues - Lawrence and GW

MartH

I was looking at the Maggs site earlier this morning, A GW  Click to get PDF military catalogue and a TE Lawrence one Click to get pdf

They are still in my opinion the one of the best book dealers in the world, where's my cheque book, subscribers edition, cheaper than a new Porsche ....

6 hours ago, MartH said:

I was looking at the Maggs site earlier this morning, A GW  Click to get PDF military catalogue and a TE Lawrence one Click to get pdf

Thanks for the link, Martin. 2 superb catalogues, particularly the Lawrence. Can't decide which ones to buy - I think that proof chapter from the 1922 edition of 'Seven Pillars' might have to be the one along with that map that belonged to Lawrence. Now where did I leave that spare half million?

2 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Thanks for the link, Martin. 2 superb catalogues, particularly the Lawrence. Can't decide which ones to buy - I think that proof chapter from the 1922 edition of 'Seven Pillars' might have to be the one along with that map that belonged to Lawrence. Now where did I leave that spare half million?

Perhaps Sir is tempted to give the same reply as Monsieur Creosote in the Monty Python film-when proffered a menu by John Cleese:

"I'll have the lot"

Nice catalogues. 

I have to agree with Lawrence catalogue is just wonderful, and stuffed full of choice items. I guess it must come from a serious Lawrence collector. Alan have you looked at item 46 in the other catalogue, Mars his idiot,  proof copy for sale.

i will stick with Turner Donovan!!

4 hours ago, MartH said:

I have to agree with Lawrence catalogue is just wonderful, and stuffed full of choice items. I guess it must come from a serious Lawrence collector. Alan have you looked at item 46 in the other catalogue, Mars his idiot,  proof copy for sale.

Thanks Martin. Yes I saw that. I have it in its jacket so probably not worth it just for the proof.

Topic for debate - is it possible to be a really serious collector without having shed loads of money? And what kind of collector has that amount of money anyway? Leaves me still at the starting post.

1 hour ago, barkalotloudly said:

i will stick with Turner Donovan!!

Over the years I have bought from Maggs Bros at very reasonable prices.

18 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Thanks Martin. Yes I saw that. I have it in its jacket so probably not worth it just for the proof.

Topic for debate - is it possible to be a really serious collector without having shed loads of money? And what kind of collector has that amount of money anyway? Leaves me still at the starting post.

It's an interesting debate, it depends upon context, for example you can't be a serious collector of Nelson documents or memorabilia without having money. I recall one of the auctions I was invited to at the bicentenary when they where selling materiel from the family of his prize agent for the Battle of the Nile, there was a sword that went for over 700k plus commission to a collector, who then snapped a special presentation  naval dirk with a painting of the French Flagship for 150k plus commission, who then when to buy all the items from a special  Meissen set made with painting of the battle and they went for what seemed vasts amounts of money. But this was the only time in 2 hundred years when you had an opportunity to buy them, and had IRC the first pineapple dish manufactured in Europe.

So it's context based, but as a collector you should not expect a discount from a dealer for the really rare stuff, he/she has 50 plus people wanting it, you should be more interested in the collection than a bargain every time or the dealer will offer it to person who does not ask for a discount all the time.

4 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

What people collect is, of course, influenced by the depths of their pockets and the numbers of zeros on their bank balance. Books generally give enough scope to satisfy the "hunter-gatherer" instinct" if tempered against means. For example, it would be pointless for me to attempt to collect medieval books of hours or incunabiula of any significance.

"Book and Magazine Collector" of yesteryear showed some areas that those of more restricted means might collect-  Biggles, Rupert the Bear, Collins "New Naturalist", A and C Black, Observer books,etc,etc.  Each gives a place for the thrill of the chase, the serendipity of finding, the acquisition of knowledge -and a target of completeness.

Maggs have traditionally done a strong line in travel- with some pretty hefty Arab princes in past years.  Hence the TEL catalogue seems, measure for measure, to be more expensive that the other-Maggs will have some target customers in view. It is,perhaps, a surprise that the catalogue has not been sold whole-which suggests that one of the 2 strongest collectors of a couple of decades back may be out of it-there was a time when 2 conflicting wealthy Middle East collectors whacked the prices for almost anything Lawrence related.

The Great War catalogue seems more geared to,perhaps, institutional purchasers for the manuscript stuff.

plenty of reasonable priced scarce books available just a case of putting in the effort to find them no fun in being a collector if you can afford everything that is offered

14 minutes ago, barkalotloudly said:

plenty of reasonable priced scarce books available just a case of putting in the effort to find them no fun in being a collector if you can afford everything that is offered

That is very true, just because you have the money and can afford it, doesn't mean you should buy, also if you don't hunt and search you don't learn.

i am very fortunate to be in the position to be able to spend a bob or two on buying Great war material but as my money is hard earned i always consider purchases carefully  I should have purchased the Diaries  {R N A S} being offered by Maggs when they became available several months ago, unfortunately there were other purchases in the pipeline so i passed on them! there we are, onwards and upwards  

4 minutes ago, barkalotloudly said:

i am very fortunate to be in the position to be able to spend a bob or two on buying Great war material but as my money is hard earned i always consider purchases carefully  I should have purchased the Diaries  {R N A S} being offered by Maggs when they became available several months ago, unfortunately there were other purchases in the pipeline so i passed on them! there we are, onwards and upwards  

Alas, Woof, you are a victim of the statistical  certainty known as "London Bus Syndrome"-   When you can afford one thing, 2 will come along at once.

Luckily, as a book collector who generally avoids manuscript material, I rarely bump up against truly eye-watering prices. I decided early on that I wouldn't be chasing the great American classics of the War - Hemingway, Faulkner, cummings, Fitzgerald and that my Owens and Brookes would probably never see their jackets.

I certainly never ask for a discount on a rare item - it will likely have sold before the dealer gets back to me.

31 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Luckily, as a book collector who generally avoids manuscript material, I rarely bump up against truly eye-watering prices. I decided early on that I wouldn't be chasing the great American classics of the War - Hemingway, Faulkner, cummings, Fitzgerald and that my Owens and Brookes would probably never see their jackets.

I certainly never ask for a discount on a rare item - it will likely have sold before the dealer gets back to me.

The "majors" in bookselling-cannot vouch for Maggs in this regard- stagger the mailing of their catalogues-  best customers first. Those that ask for a discount might well find that they are behind the best payers in the pecking order-Discount,yes-but only on what's left. 

19 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

always ask...there are not huge numbers of us prepared to spend large amounts on books these days and a bird in the hand?? some of the books i have been watching have been listed for 2 years plus! but the "London Bus" syndrome kicks in, many times the dealer concerned is "Flying a Kite" to see what happens, do not be shy 40 years in road transport has taught me.... do not ask do not get 

19 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

always ask...there are not huge numbers of us prepared to spend large amounts on books these days and a bird in the hand?? some of the books i have been watching have been listed for 2 years plus! but the "London Bus" syndrome kicks in, many times the dealer concerned is "Flying a Kite" to see what happens, do not be shy 40 years in road transport has taught me.... do not ask do not get 

all joking aside you can always get the commission charged by the book site back from the dealer and with the event of Paypal payment no problems and as a purchase payment you are covered, having said that  in over 35 years of buying from numerous dealers i have NEVER had a problem regarding payment /refunds for books that do not appear etc  there is still some honour left in the world!  {i also find with very very scarce exceptions most books are described as being worse than they in fact are } 

I have actually inquired of Maggs with regard to one of the items in the Lawrence catalogue but sadly have received no reply. Perhaps they're inundated with orders?

DJC-  Have a look at Maggs listing on ABE- they seem to have the residue of the catalogues there.  If not, then I hope you are not so far down the pecking order that you don't rate a reply-Not likely but possible. 

Interesting to see one of the items do the rounds- from auction in Bath, to Robert Frew and then on to Maggs- The Karanga Chronicle,which has featured before.

Edited by Guest