The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Mesopotamia & France ?

Guest Jonadab

I am going to try and discover any information on my Grandfathers contribution in the Great War. Unfortunately no documents or photographs of him survive. The only information I have to go on is from my father who told me that although his father died when he was very young, he does rememember that he served in Mesopotamia (he saw his Pith helmet in the cupboard) but could not remember being informed of any dates or units. Also, from my fathers letters to my mother during WWII I noticed a paragraph in one that was addressed from somewhere in France, ".... tell mother that today I visited some of the areas in which dad fought in the first round...".

As my Grandfather was a Merchant seamen living his whole life in Bristol, I am assuming he was in a Gloucstershire or Somerset regiment. So although this is all very sketchy information at best, my first question has to be; Which Gloucesterhsire or Somerset units fought in Mesopotamia. The second is; Which units fought in both Mesoppotamia and France. From this information I may be able to narrow down a search of the online Medal Roles to find him.

Oh... and his name ? "William Smith".

I know with such a common name I'm probably doing the Needle in the Haystack bit but I've got to try...Haven't I?

Thankd for reading this.

No Gloucestershire or Somerset troops fought in Mesopotamia.

There were Scots, Welsh, Leicestershire, Manchesters, Warwickshires, Dorsets, Devons, Norfolks and Cornish units but I am not sure whether any of them came from France.

Ron

Correction - must have had a brain storm.

In the attempted relief of Kut were the 1/4th Somerset Light Infantry (Prince Albert's) 1/4th Battalion in 37th Brigade and the 7th Battalion Gloucestershires in 39th Brigade.

Sorry

Ron

The 7th Gloc's & 1/4th SLI were in the Balkan / Mespot & persia areas all war I believe, so its not much help Im afraid. However, bear in mind that he may have been wounded or similar over there, returned to Blighty & sent to another unit in France when recovered??

May be worth trying to narrow down the 7 odd thousand William Smith MIC's based on what you have so far, and maybe getting his 1901 census entry to try & help narrow it down even further?

• 2 weeks later...

Steve,

Many thanks for the info.

Question though? You mentioned the 1901 census. I have this plus more info on the vessels he crewed on up to 1908. But can I ask what difference this makes in searching records? From what I have seen in the medal roles, there is no mention of anything other than units and dates. I could not therefore link him with home address etc. Could you please clarify how the extra information could be used in WWI searches.

I apologise if this request sound foolish but from your reply it sounds as though there are records available somewhere that hold a combatants personal information, which could be searched.

I have already requested info from the MOD but they tell me it would not be possible to search with the scant info I can supply. Besides which a significant portion of the records were destroyes in WWII.

Many thanks for your assistance. It is appreciated.

Pete

Pete,

If, and it's a big if, his records do happen to be one of the survivors, a quick scan of the front page of his attestation docs will show where he was born. This will allow you to quickly discard many records which do not tally which what you presumably already know? On the fourth page, the Military History Sheet, will be noted his next of kin. The NoK ought to be someone who is noted on the 1901 census, either a parent or spouse depending on his age at the time.

Regards

Steve

Individual soldiers migh well have fought in more than one battalion and served in both theatres.

For example, Pte Edward Roe served in France with the 1st East Lancs in 1914 and 1915. He was wounded, brought back to England, and then returned to service with the 6th East Lancs at Gallipoli and then Mesopotamia. His diaries have just been published (The Diary of an Old Contemptible - excellent book, see Chris Baker's thread in book reviews).

So although some battalions might have moved from France to Mesopotamia or in the other direction, I suspect there weren't many such, given the distances and time involved. On the other hand, different battalions of the same regiment certainly did serve in both theatres. Therefore if soldiers moved between battalions they could find themselves in entirely different theatres.

I'm sure one of our many experts will come up with something more specific!

Best regards,

Ste

Dear Pete

Also the Cheshire Regiment sailed to mesopatamia and were recalled to France

My Great Uncle who was left by the Cheshires attached to an Indian Co in Mesopatamia whilst his battalion went to France so concievably they were in two theatres

Regards

Russ