The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Riley Brothers

Guest paulmartin77

Guest paulmartin77

I am trying to find as much information as I can about my Great Grandfather and his two brothers who died while serving in the Great War.

The three men are (In order of Death):-

Name: Thomas William RILEY

No. 1329

Regiment: 4th Battn, Essex Regiment

DOD: 2/9/1915 from Dysentery, Malta

Name: Cecil (or Cyril) Patrick RILEY

No. 3346

Regiment: The Buffs (East Kent) Regiment

DOD: 3/5/1916 from Disease, Mesopotania

Name: Francis Arthur RILEY

No. 33230

Regiment: The 8th Battalion Bedfordshire Regiment

DOD: 6/2/1917 from wounds, B.E.F.

I know details about where they where buried from the CWCG, I am just wondering if anyone who has details of another serviceman who fought in the same areas/times has come across any mention or may have a photograph of these 3 men. It would seem the first two where unlucky dying from diseases while the last I presume died in or from battle.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

1329 Pte T W Riley 4/Essex - I have a diary by a soldier who served with this unit from pre-war to 1917 when he was KiA. I shall have a look for any info.

Ian

Paul

Here's the family in 1901.

Steve

The 8th Bedfords were inactive during January/February 1917, save for raiding parties, one notably by C company on 28th/29th January at Little Willie and Hindenburg Trench, near Noyelles. 150 men under Capt Brewster took the enemy front line for about 30 minutes before retiring with 2 prisoners. Casualties shown as 1 officer slightly wounded, 1 OR killed, 1 OR severely wounded, 3 ORs slightly wounded. Otherwise, snipers and general shelling would be the obvious culprits.

All the best

David

Guest paulmartin77
1329 Pte T W Riley 4/Essex - I have a diary by a soldier who served with this unit from pre-war to 1917 when he was KiA. I shall have a look for any info.

Ian

Thanks Ian,

Hopefully you will find something I can look at

Regards,

Paul

Guest paulmartin77
Paul

Here's the family in 1901.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I have some census reports for that family, that is one of them, I'm in touch with Harlow Museum at the moment so should get more details about their address soon.

Regards,

Paul

Guest paulmartin77
The 8th Bedfords were inactive during January/February 1917, save for raiding parties, one notably by C company on 28th/29th January at Little Willie and Hindenburg Trench, near Noyelles. 150 men under Capt Brewster took the enemy front line for about 30 minutes before retiring with 2 prisoners. Casualties shown as 1 officer slightly wounded, 1 OR killed, 1 OR severely wounded, 3 ORs slightly wounded. Otherwise, snipers and general shelling would be the obvious culprits.

All the best

David

Thanks David,

Where did you manage to find this good information from?

Regards,

Paul

Paul,

The History of the Beds and Herts published in the 1980s (?) (which itself is based, in respect of WW1, on a serialisation appearing in the regimental magazine in the 1920s). The 8th battalion diary does not assist in respect of individual soldiers, unfortunately.

Regards

David