The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

George Hay’s, The Yeomanry Cavalry and Military Identities in Rural Britain, 1815–1914

bootneck

Just a heads up for those interested in the Yeomanry, Palgrave Macmillan are publishing George Hay’s, The Yeomanry Cavalry and Military Identities in Rural Britain, 1815–1914 next year as part of their War, Culture and Society, 1750-1850 series.

Bootneck

Listed as available for pre-order on Amazon, with the following details:

• Hardcover: 255 pages
  • Publisher: Palgrave Macmillan; 1st ed. 2018 edition (10 Nov. 2017)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 3319655388
  • ISBN-13: 978-3319655383

Priced at £66.99.

(NB- Given that publishing dates can often slip, it has been the tradition of British publishers to date books for the following year if actually published in the last quarter or so of the previous one-hence 10th November may be the actual date, or one that has already slipped into next year)

And should be cheaper with other listers after publication.

£66.99?

Mad.

Some hopes!

I have set up a reviewer's account with the publishers, citing my Stand To! book reviewer status, plus this site. wait and see, I suppose.

1 hour ago, Steven Broomfield said:

I have set up a reviewer's account with the publishers, citing my Stand To! book reviewer status, plus this site. wait and see, I suppose.

Hmm-  Does Lady Broomfield REALLY want yet another birthday present. Or Christmas or  wedding anniversary for that matter.....

On a serious note, a Google search shows that there is a summary article about this in "War and History", published  by Sage, which is available for free download. A bit waffly (Sage journals are generally not in the first rank) . The original University of  Kent thesis from 2011 seems to be available for nowt (bar registration) from the British Library "Ethos" system.  The summary for the latter is below:

his thesis examines the place of Britain’s Yeomanry Cavalry within the wider context of the amateur military tradition, between the French Revolutionary Wars and the reformation of the Territorial Army in 1920. Covering the turbulent episodes of the 19th century, as well as the conflicts that marked its beginning and end, this thesis traces the development and evolution of the Yeomanry whilst questioning its place in British social history. To achieve these ends, it routinely returns to three key themes: the Yeomanry’s relationship with the state, its interaction with society, and its place in the wider amateur military tradition. It is argued in this study that the historiography of the amateur military movement has said too little about the Yeomanry, and much of what has been said centres on the combined experience with the Volunteers and Militia. Unlike the Volunteers, however, no text deals with the Yeomanry as a single institution. Though a number of studies have furthered our understanding for the Revolutionary and Napoleonic period, the history of this institution in the rest of the 19th century is largely neglected. This thesis will redress this balance by assessing participation and questioning the importance of the force in society; from the significance of its role as a constabulary, to the importance of its pageantry and presence to those involved and outside of the institution. It will tackle questions of social compositions – particularly the suggestion that the Yeomanry was a ‘feudal’ force – as well as the wider politics of the institution. Given its role in the Second South African War, its incorporation into the Territorial Force, and its involvement in the First World War, this study will also show the varied experience of reform and conflict by offering comparison with academic studies that have covered its sibling forces. The evolution and changing nature of the Yeomanry is considered alongside the evolution and changing nature of the amateur military movement as a whole. The part it played in shifting perceptions in government and society are considered, both in the way that the force maintained a level of independence, and how it benefited from co-operation. Above all, the importance of the Yeomanry as a civilian movement will be juxtaposed against its military pretensions.

Perhaps Lady Broomfield will not have to file for divorce after all-  If the thesis is accessible, then it is likely to have more of the technical details and references that you would like,young Steven-as publishers routinely trim doctorates down- 256 pages (or thereabouts) is the Palgrave norm for monographs for some years now

Edited by Guest

• 3 months later...
On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 19:55, Steven Broomfield said:

The on-line review copy has landed. It looks good but I'm unconvinced it's £66.99-worth of good.

The book is arranged in seven chapters ('Yeomanry and the State 1815-99', 'The Officer Corps'. 'The Rank and File', 'British society, Poplar [sic] Perception and Public Support', Aid to the Civil Power', South Africa 1899-1902', 'Rebirth and reinvention, Army reform 1902-1914'.) plus and Introduction and a Conclusion. Bibliography, Index and Appendices (two, not very detailed) make up the rest, each chapter being in the region of 30 pages long. The Conclusion weighs in at 5 pages and the Introduction at 18.

I've not read it in any detail, but I don't see it as value for money. Even more stunningly, I see the Kindle price is £63.64. Someone is taking the proverbial!

18 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

I've not read it in any detail, but I don't see it as value for money. Even more stunningly, I see the Kindle price is £63.64. Someone is taking the proverbial!

I hope the Stand To! review will be interesting. Perhaps the reviewer would care to compare it with the freely available doctorate on which it is based. Though good on the author to be sporting enough to make his doctorate available in the first place. It might illuminate what has been shorn by Palgrave Macmillan (probably what you most want anyway!)

As to cover price, well, the alternative is no publication at all. And of course, you won't have to go far to find publishers with even higher standard monograph prices.

I agree that Kindle prices are scandalous-the more so as it is effetively only the camera-ready copy that is needed for publishing the hard copy anyway- and at £3 less than a nice, physical  book then poor value indeed.

Of course, far better value-at £4.95 in this  Season of Goodwill is:

BLUE CROSS FUND -  First World War Propaganda Poster

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

I've only just seen this thread, but may I observe that War and History is a first rate journal and all PhD theses nowadays are available for free download, usually a year after acceptance?

Mike

On 19/12/2017 at 03:42, Perth Digger said:

I've only just seen this thread, but may I observe that War and History is a first rate journal and all PhD theses nowadays are available for free download, usually a year after acceptance?

Mike

Accepted without demur. Alas, a number of Sage journals and books are just junk-and with poor production values as well.

The question of doctorates online is not quite straightforward.  Academic publishers keep a close eye on "Work in progress"- and often a doctorate is not available for a time (or ever), in order to safeguard both the publisher risk in  printing,producing and marketing- but also the more savvy (ie those who are chancing an academic career) will withhold in order to make their doctorates more attractive to publishers.."Publish or persih" is  ever the norm in academic-especially with RAE or it's replacement spawn.

The gradual  digitisation of doctorates soon after Viva is a very creditable development - I hope that it will start going in for backfilling as good doctorates of yesteryear serve no purpose locked away in steel cabinets in university closed stores. 

I am most fortunate-my old college not only lets me in(fools that they are) but lets me borrow books (They tell me the old f&&t alumni borrow books the students never touch anyway) but it has  ProQuest Theses online-which gives me access to a lot of North American stuff-most of which can be downloaded. Very useful to make friends with your local university and see what they have.

20 minutes ago, Perth Digger said:

You can download them. I'm 12,000 miles away!

Serves you right- If you hadn't thumped our poor cricketers so quickly, then you wouldn't have time on your hands!!