The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Liaison 1914

paulgranger

If you have not got a copy, Naval and Military Press are offering Pen and Sword's recent hardback reprint for £3.99 (plus postage) in their summer sale.

An excellent book and a bargain at that price. Although I already have it in a paperback I might just have to buy this hardback version.

Len

His WW2 book ' Assignment to Catastrophe' is nearly as good and also well worth having.

Len

'Prelude to Victory' is another of Spears' books. It covers the period around the German retreat to the Hindenburg Line. The description of the reoccupation of French villages and towns is deeply moving - a highlight in another beautifully written account.

Robert

An 11th Hussar, Spears' orders and medals are in the HorsePower Museum (King's Royal Hussars) in Winchester. He was, as a regimental officer before the war, instrumental (with Sergeant Lummis - later commissioned in the Suffolks, ordained and leading light in research into VC winners and of participants in the Charge of the Light Brigade) in making the 11th one of the best-shooting regiments in the army.

Dear All,

Here is a similar one, also dealing with 1914.

"The Picknic Basket" by Spears, was published by Norton, New York (1967). I bought it for $18 from a Sydney booksellerimg127.jpg.6c9821042d0f6a15ed2865c8f3dec71f.jpg, in 1987...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

When i purchased my British copy of ' The Picnic Basket ' quite cheaply in a second hand book shop ( what are they ? ) quite a few years ago,  I was

pleased to find it had been signed by the author . However since then I have realised it may have been more scarce if it hadn't been signed :)