The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

autobiogs and memoirs of British Generals

The Owlman

Hi

I am trying to find British Corps and Army commanders of the Western front 1916-18 who wrote either their memoirs or autobiographies of their experiences. I am researching 63rd (RN) divisional links when in III and V Armies e.g effectiveness etc. I think it was in Gough's memoirs that he said of the division "strange habits and quirks" but not to be interfered with when the division was one of his best. I cannot find any references to Rawlinson, Byng, Monro   or Corps commanders such as Fanshawe (V Corps); Fergusson, Jacob or Congreve.

Any one have any ideas?

Regards

Owlman 

6 minutes ago, charlesmessenger said:

Congreve certainly kept a diary, but I think that it is probably still in possession of the family.

Charles M 

From "Discovery"- The National Archives search system

Walter Norris Congreve 1862 - 1927

Records of the Congreve family of Congreve and Stretton. Diaries and Commonplace Books. Walter Norris Congreve 1862 - 1927

Held by: Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent Archive Service: Staffordshire County Record Office
Date: Dates unknown
Reference: None stated

There is a book edited by Major-General Sir Frederick Maurice published in 1928 called "The Life of General Lord Rawlinson of Trent" from his Journals and Letters.

Andy

8 minutes ago, stiletto_33853 said:

There is a book edited by Major-General Sir Frederick Maurice published in 1928 called "The Life of General Lord Rawlinson of Trent" from his Journals and Letters.

Andy

Rawlinson's papers and diaries appear to be spread between 2 institutions-I do not know what the relationship is of one to the other. I believe the NAM Templer deposit is the stronger.

Have you tried the University of Birmingham website-"Lions Led by Donkeys"?   It has short but well-informed biographies of the British senior commanders, often with some references to papers/scholarly works as well.  eg The entry on Walter Congreve is written by John Bourne (always good) and has half a dozen references to books and papers- A good place to start.

Here is a good starting point

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/research/activity/warstudies/research/projects/lionsdonkeys/index.aspx

'Bloody Red Tabs - General Officer Casualties of the Great War, 1914-18'  by DAVIES and MADDOCKS has an extensive bibliography for further reading.  ISBN 0 85052 463 6, published  in 1995.

Philip

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks folks for the information. I am trying to follow up comments made by the various commanders after the divisions efforts when under their command. It does seem to appear that when included in the ORBAT the commander assumed that the naval division being a "crack unit" would reach their objectives and that was that! From the war diaries F.M Haigh and others regularly visited the division after their gruelling scraps to congratulate their efforts. It is only after the war that the 63rd sinks into obscurity as the Army High command dissolves the wartime divisions (especially one that was at kilter with the army norms!)

Cheers

Some memoirs of generals:

Life of an irish soldier General Sir Alexander Godley

A Soldiers Saga General Sir Alymer haldane

both Corps commanders during the period you were interested