The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Four years on the Western Front. Aubrey Smith

neverforget

By way of a review of this excellent offering, I offer my personal endorsement:

The first section of the book describes his time in the trenches as an infantryman, and really puts you there with the eloquence of his accounts of being in the line. He then joins the transport section and gives us an brilliant insight into this largely overlooked group of unsung heroes.

Part of the book's forward by the C.O. of the L.R.B:

"Distinctions have often been drawn in my hearing between service in the trenches and in the transport. My reply was always that I would sooner sit in a trench than drive twice a night through Ypres. To my mind greater courage was often required for the latter.

No mention is made of the fact that the author was awarded the Military Medal in August 1917, and a bar in November 1918."

A cracking read!

Edited by neverforget

4 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Here's what the original looks like.

IMG_0033.JPG.8d1680a447ce325c5d6ee75e76f5caef.JPG

Looks like it's had 4 years on the Western Front itself😊

My copy is only an incomparable paperback version I'm afraid, but I can't complain at a pound from Barnardo's I suppose. It's in perfect nick too and looks like the previous owner didn't even venture to read it. 

Not as bad as it looks, trick of the light, and the only copy I've seen still in its jacket.

6 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Not as bad as it looks, trick of the light, and the only copy I've seen still in its jacket.

And a fine and enviable acquisition it is too. 

I see that the author is credited as "A rifleman." I wonder if this is down to same modesty that prevented him from making public his gallantry awards, and the trait that makes his account all the more enjoyable to read?

9 hours ago, neverforget said:

I see that the author is credited as "A rifleman." I wonder if this is down to same modesty that prevented him from making public his gallantry awards, and the trait that makes his account all the more enjoyable to read?

Quite possibly, although publishing under a pseudonym was a not uncommon practice at the time. Others that come to mind include 'Vigilant', 'Taffrail ', 'X'-private-X', 'F.O.O.', 'Quex', 'Casualty', etc, etc.

just bought this neverforget,
my grandfather was a.s.c horsedriver then to rifleman in the 13th rifle brigade so very much chimes with me

looking forward to reading,cheers

I have had this in my 'to read' pile for two years, and finally started several months ago, although my MA studies have currently brought my reading to a temporary halt. It is a fascinating book, and since it was written immediately after the war, and published in 1922, it has an immediacy that  is often missing in memoirs written a decade later.

William

Edited by WilliamRev

8 hours ago, bradley said:

just bought this neverforget,
my grandfather was a.s.c horsedriver then to rifleman in the 13th rifle brigade so very much chimes with me

looking forward to reading,cheers

Considering your connections I would say that this book is a "must have" for you then. If it was my post that drew your attention to it that is very gratifying to me, and makes my effort to highlight the book well worth it. In any case I'm sure that you will thoroughly enjoy it. 👍

19 minutes ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Postscript Books(psbooks.co.uk) are doing it at £4.99 at the moment.

(Hope this doesn't break any Forum rule.)

Probably. The same book is on ABE from the same people (Postscript a.k.a. Sandpiper). There is one copy cheaper-at #6.98. Alas, with the cheaper books, there is effectively no saving when listed by Postscripts/ABC,etc as the postage knocks out any discount over the cover price of the  book.

On 25/08/2017 at 09:08, Stoppage Drill said:

Postscript Books(psbooks.co.uk) are doing it at £4.99 at the moment.

(Hope this doesn't break any Forum rule.)

Probably. The same book is on ABE from the same people (Postscript a.k.a. Sandpiper). There is one copy cheaper-at #6.98. Alas, with the cheaper books, there is effectively no saving when listed by Postscripts/ABC,etc as the postage knocks out any discount over the cover price of the  book.

Always worth shopping around (and checking the smallprint of course).

I'd say no way is S.D. infringing any forum rules with his useful post.

True, if buying but one item, but p&p remains the same for the entire purchase and is therefore much less per item pro rata if several books or other items are ordered at the same time.

I've got the N & MP reprint paperback, but must confess I've only read the first few pages since I bought it. I also bought a Kindle edition over a year ago for 99p, but that version does not seem to be available from Amazon any longer.

• 3 weeks later...