The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

How names were used?

Guest Fiona Howie

Guest Fiona Howie

I am looking into my great, great Uncle (I think) and I am some what confused.

I recently received a medal from my grandad's aunt with the intials E W Hesse, 18472, Northumber Fusiliers, died in July 1916. This is Ernest W Hesse (I think the W is for Walter)

My grandad doesn't remember an Ernest but does remember Walter. There isn't an Ernest in the National Archives but there is a Walter that fits in with the whole family. I looked at my local library and found that both Henry Otto and Walter appeared in the T&A in Bradford, stating that Henry Otto had been injured (he didn't die) and that Walter was missing and that his mother would like any information about his whereabouts (he died).

Basically, is it possible that Ernest W and Walter Hesse are one and the same and that they just called him Walter, not Ernest. I think everything fits only that the National Arcives state him as Walter but his medal states him as E W Hesse.

I have the following information:

Ernest W Hesse

Northumberland Fusiliers 9th Brigade 3rd Division

Born and enlisted in Bradford

Not killed in action but died 23rd July 1916

1st Northumberland Fusiliers were on the Somme on the 23rd July 1916 they moved forward to assembly positions at Pont Street and then attacked Piccadilly at the Northern end of Longueval. The attack failed and Ernest was probably injured here.

On 11th November 1918 they were located at Longueville, east of Bavai, France.

Walter Hesse

Northumberland Fusiliers reported missing since July 23. He is 18 years of age and his mother who resides at 125 Ventnor Street would be grateful of any news concerning him. BWT 1/9/1916

Sorry for the long ramble but there were a few brothers from this family that fought in WW1 unfortunately only 1 returned so I'm working my way through them!

Any info would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Fi

Fiona,

Some people did, and some still do, go by their second or third name. Your man could have easily gone by the name E. Walter Hesse had he so wished. Of course, officially, his name would be Ernest Walter Hesse, and I suspect the the people who wrote his documents would have simply put his first name down unknowingly.

I've come across men who went by one of their middle names for one reason or another, so I don't see why this man should not have.

If the second of your quotations is from a local newspaper, it would seem to confirm this.

Hope this is of help,

Hugh.

Fiona

There's a birth entry for Ernest Walter Hesse in Bradford for June 1898 (Vol 9b, Page 59), but nothing for Walter.

I agree totally with Hugh's comments, and have seen this many, many times before.

Steve

Guest Fiona Howie

Many thanks,

I thought they must be the same person but there were a few things that didn't fit.

May I just ask where you got the info on Ernest Walter Hesse for June 1898?

On the sheet I got from the National Archives where it had them all from the 1901 census his name was written as Walter and was 2 years old which fits?

My grandad will be very happy we've sorted this one out! He just kept saying that there wasn't an 'Ernest' that he could think of!

Thanks again,

Fi

Fiona

The register of births, deaths and marriages can be checked at a variety of web sites. You may find that www.1837online.com is the best, although you have to pay for the searches - it can be invaluable in researching family history.

The birth being registered as June 1898 means the June quarter, covering April, May and June. As the birth only had to be recorded within six weeks of the birth, this means that the actual date of birth could have been as far back as mid-February !

However, the 1901 census was taken on the night of 31 March 1901 and so he hadn't yet reached his third birthday, meaning that it was between 1st April and 30 June.

Hope this makes sense.

Steve