The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

LT. JOSE PENNEY,MC, 7TH BLACK WATCH 1917 diary and letters published

May I draw to the attention of GWF members the publication of the diary (and letters) of Lt. Jose Penney, 7th Black Watch, in France, which cover the period 22nd April to 27th August 1917.  This very informative collection has been edited by a family member and printed up in a few copies, mostly for his descendants-It is through the courtesy of one of them that I Have borrowed a copy and post the details.

The full title of the book is" Diary of a Black Watch Subaltern 22nd April to 27th August 1917.  By Jose Penney It is printed in A4 size, with card covers and runs to 129 pages all in. The diary and letters part covers pp.7-100. During this time Lt Penney was awarded the MC. 

The publication was done in a very small print run for the family, though copies have been lodged with IWM and Dept.of War Studies at King's College. I am not sure of the status of copyright deposit copies under the Deposit Libraries Act of 2003. At present, there are no copies appearing on union copies, nor on COPAC.  I believe that a copy has been lodged with the Black Watch-somewhere- but I am not sure.

Just to let members know that this informative and detailed diary actually exists and can be read at several locations.

• spof changed the title to LT. JOSE PENNEY,MC, 7TH BLACK WATCH 1917 diary and letters published