The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

REGIMENTAL HISTORY

steve140968

<_< Can anyone please advise me where i can get a copy/copies of the regimental history for the Middlesex regiment , as i am researching the 16th battalion , thanks .

Steve.

The Naval & Military Press have re-printed "The Diehards in the Great War" by Everard Wyrall in 2 volumes. This is where I got my copy from.

Dave.

<_< Thankyou very much Dave .

Steve.

wo95/2431

The above is the public record office reference for the ww1 regimental diary for the 16th Middlesex.

Also, the National Army Museum is now the official Middlesex regiment museum

so they will hold many details that may be of interest to you.

You will need to obtain a readers ticket first which details can be obtained from

their web-site.

I am researching the 17th Middlesex so any information you come across would

be appreciated.

Regards

John

There is also a privately published battalion history of the 16th Middlesex. It is now out of print and quite rare, but there was a 1980s photocopy reprint, and originals are held both at the National Army Museum and Imperial War Museum in London.

;) Thankyou very much for the reply John . I take it that the reference is that of one at Kew , this would be most helpful . Of course John if i come across any imformation regarding the 17th battalion i will be sure to post it on this site . Many thanks ,

Steve .

;) Thanks for the reply Paul . This sounds quite interesting , have you any reference to this book Paul , such as author / title ? I know it is a long shot but has anybody any idea where i can track down a copy of this book , many thanks .

Steve .

;) Thanks Paul , i would be most grateful .

Steve .

The book is The 16th (Public Schools) Service Battalion Middlesex Regiment and The Great War 1914-18 by H.W.Wallis Grain (formerly Orderly Room Sergeant). No date of publication but I would say 1920s.

Hope that helps.

;) Paul , thanks very much . Happy new year , Steve .