The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

German Spring Offensive

Ancre1917

I'm looking for recommended reading on the German Spring Offensive 1918.  Does anyone have any suggestions? I imagine there will be material coming out soon ready for the 100the anniversary.  Are there books I should wait for, or is there anything out there now?

Richard

1 hour ago, Longton1971 said:

I'm looking for recommended reading on the German Spring Offensive 1918.  Does anyone have any suggestions? I imagine there will be material coming out soon ready for the 100the anniversary.  Are there books I should wait for, or is there anything out there now?

Richard

Hi

There is 'The German 1918 Offensives - A case study in the operational level of war' by David T Zabecki, which is quite detailed.

Also:

'The German Offensives of 1918 - The last desperate gamble' by Ian Passingham.

Mike

I enjoyed Lyn Macdonald's 'To The Last Man, Spring 1918' when I read it some years ago.  Good for the personal view rather than the large picture.

2 hours ago, 593jones said:

I enjoyed Lyn Macdonald's 'To The Last Man, Spring 1918' when I read it some years ago.  Good for the personal view rather than the large picture.

Just finished it and would second the above.

• Admin

For the Lys Offensive, Chris Bakers book The Battle For Flanders is recommended.

Michelle 

On 11/09/2017 at 17:17, MikeMeech said:

Hi

There is 'The German 1918 Offensives - A case study in the operational level of war' by David T Zabecki, which is quite detailed.

Also:

'The German Offensives of 1918 - The last desperate gamble' by Ian Passingham.

Mike

The Ian Passingham book is available via Amazon but comes from the USA. One is on offer at at £32 and another at an eye watering £1999 :unsure:

I think nearly £2000 would need some explaining to my wife.  

I'm particularly interested in the 5th Army retreat into the Somme area as I'm researching the impact the offensive had on the various North Staffordshire battalions that were caught up in it.  Looks like the 1st and 2nd/6th were badly mauled in the opening advance, followed by the 4th and 8th.  I've read the 1st North Staffords' battalion history which refers to criticisms made at the time of how 5th Army reacted.  I'd be interested in seeing how far these criticisms were justified and how the North Stafford battalions reacted to events.  Battalion histories and war diaries will obviously give a biased view of events with the writers not wanting to criticise colleagues. How do modern historians judge these events?

I'm sure there will be many more books published on this topic before Christmas. (Sorry to be the first person on GWF to mention that feast day.) If you hear of any that focus on my area of interest, I would be grateful if you could add them to this topic.  Thanks in advance.

Richard

4 hours ago, Donald D said:

The Ian Passingham book is available via Amazon but comes from the USA. One is on offer at at £32 and another at an eye watering £1999 :unsure:

Hi

From the Amazon site the Passingham book is available from UK sources from £1.53 (used) plus postage upwards.  The Zabecki book is available from £25.98 + postage and above, again from UK sources.  So I don't quite understand the higher prices you found.

Mike

On 9/11/2017 at 19:31, 593jones said:

On 9/12/2017 at 20:10, Michelle Young said:

For the Lys Offensive, Chris Bakers book The Battle For Flanders is recommended.

Michelle 

i'll second both!

On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 13:53, Longton1971 said:

I think nearly £2000 would need some explaining to my wife.  

I'm particularly interested in the 5th Army retreat into the Somme area as I'm researching the impact the offensive had on the various North Staffordshire battalions that were caught up in it.  Looks like the 1st and 2nd/6th were badly mauled in the opening advance, followed by the 4th and 8th.  I've read the 1st North Staffords' battalion history which refers to criticisms made at the time of how 5th Army reacted.  I'd be interested in seeing how far these criticisms were justified and how the North Stafford battalions reacted to events.  Battalion histories and war diaries will obviously give a biased view of events with the writers not wanting to criticise colleagues. How do modern historians judge these events?

I'm sure there will be many more books published on this topic before Christmas. (Sorry to be the first person on GWF to mention that feast day.) If you hear of any that focus on my area of interest, I would be grateful if you could add them to this topic.  Thanks in advance.

Richard

Along time since I read it, but Walter Shaw-Sparrow's ' The Fifth Army in March 1918' might be of interest. It's available as a Kindle at 49p at the moment.

Hi - you could follow any of these from Wikipedia.

• Brown, Ian. British Logistics on the Western Front: 1914–1919. Praeger Publishers, 1998. ISBN 978-0-275-95894-7
  • Blaxland, Gregory (1981) [1968]. Amiens 1918. War in the Twentieth Century. London: W. H. Allen. ISBN 0-352-30833-8.
  • Edmonds, J. E. (1994) [1939]. Military Operations France and Belgium, 1918 May–July: The German Diversion Offensives and the First Allied Counter-Offensive. History of the Great War Based on Official Documents By Direction of the Historical Section of the Committee of Imperial Defence. III (Imperial War Museum & Battery Press ed.). London: Macmillan. ISBN 0-89839-211-X.
  • Gray, Randal (1991) Kaiserschlacht, 1918: The Final German Offensive, Osprey Campaign Series 11, London: Osprey, ISBN 1-85532-157-2
  • Griffith, Paddy (1996). Battle Tactics of the Western Front: British Army's Art of Attack. 1916–18. Yale. ISBN 0-300-06663-5.
  • Hart, Peter (2008). 1918: A Very British Victory, Phoenix Books, London. ISBN 978-0-7538-2689-8
  • Herwig, Holger H. (2014). The First World War: Germany and Austria-Hungary 1914–1918. A&C Black. ISBN 9781472508850.
  • Keegan, John (1999). The First World War, London: Pimlico, ISBN 978-0-7126-6645-9
  • Marshall, George C. (1976). Memoirs of My Service in the World War 1917–1918, Houghton Mifflin Company, Boston, ISBN 0-395-20725-8
  • Marix Evans, Martin (2002) 1918: The Year of Victories, Arcturus Military History Series, London: Arcturus, ISBN 0-572-02838-5
  • Middlebrook, Martin. The Kaiser's Battle: 21 March 1918: The First Day of the German Spring Offensive. Penguin. 1983. ISBN 0-14-017135-5
  • Simpson, Andy. The Evolution of Victory: British Battles of the Western Front, 1914–1918. Tom Donovan, 1995. ISBN 1-871085-19-5
  • Robson, Stuart. The First World War. Longman. 2007. ISBN 978-1-4058-2471-2
  • Zabecki, David T. (2006) The German 1918 Offensives. A Case Study in the Operational Level of War, London: Routledge, ISBN 0-415-35600-8
Journals