The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Books -- Fifth Battle of Ypres and the Final Advance in Flanders

Macnab

I have just read Chris Baker's review of Understanding the Ypres Salient by Scotland and Hays http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/review-of-understanding-the-ypres-salient/

Chris writes, "The book follows virtually all others in having something of a '... and then we all went home for tea' approach, in that events after the capture of Passchendaele in November 1917 receive very short shrift ... This is at a fairly high level: we do not get down to unit level very often, let alone to the experience of individual men."

Is anyone able to recommend a book that does justice to the Final Advance in Flanders (including the Fifth Battle of Ypres, 28 September – 2 October 1918) and actually does get down to a lower level, please?

I am particularly interested in the Battle of Courtrai, 14 – 19 October 1918 and the action of Tieghem, 31 October 1918,

Thanks.

Steven

Well. there is this from Helion http://www.helion.co.uk/new-and-forthcoming-titles/pouring-with-rain-troops-fed-up-british-second-army-and-the-liberation-offensive-in-flanders-1918.html?___SID=U but it's been flagged up for publication for the past twelve months so I don't think the current release date is any more accurate than previous.

Thank you very much, Paul.  I'll look out for this.  From the description on the website this promises to be quite a different sort of book to the normal high level treatment, and promises to cover just the sort of campaigning that my grandfather was involved in at the end.  It would be good if the target release date was kept this time.

Steven

Paul,

Sadly you were right to be sceptical about the release date.  The word from Helion yesterday is that they do not now have a firm date when the book is going to be ready for release.

Steven

Yes, I think it's in the same state of limbo as a tactical history of 56 Division which they hoped to publish, and which is now 2 if not 3 years late. Oh well, I'll just have to read something else (I've got lots)