The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RFC Burial, any pointers? who? where?

caulkheader

Hi all

I recently acquired a set of medals to a R.E.'s dispatch rider, when I collected them there was a large number of photos with them.

Quite possibly he took them furtively on his travels, mainly of ruined villages, POW's etc.

This one intrigues me, I would dearly like to confirm the casualty to see if he ties in with the photo taker. Any suggestions as to who or even where, would be appreciated.

I can tell you he [the 'snapper' was in the Montauban area in July 1916.

Thanks in advance [hopefully].

T

img-X27150122-0001aa.jpg

2 hours ago, caulkheader said:

Hi all

I recently acquired a set of medals to a R.E.'s dispatch rider, when I collected them there was a large number of photos with them.

Quite possibly he took them furtively on his travels, mainly of ruined villages, POW's etc.

This one intrigues me, I would dearly like to confirm the casualty to see if he ties in with the photo taker. Any suggestions as to who or even where, would be appreciated.

I can tell you he [the 'snapper' was in the Montauban area in July 1916.

Thanks in advance [hopefully].

T

img-X27150122-0001aa.jpg

Cant see apart from a Captain in the RFC 

can you post what details you can see

1 minute ago, helpjpl said:

If he took the photo because it was the grave of someone who was famous pre-war - could it Captain Basil Hallam Radford?

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/175203/radford,-basil-hallam/

JP

I believe it is JP, I can make out most of Radford, the H of the middle name and something Xxsil.

Andy

42 minutes ago, HolymoleyRE said:

He is number one on my list as well.

I think the three identical crosses in the background are Crossthwaite, Riley and Stephens. Wrong direction

There is a picture here that is so tantalisingly close to Radford's grave, if we have it right.

Phil

Edited by Phil Evans
Reorientation

Thanks chaps.

I would have laid money that the first initial was 'H'. But it all seems to make sense.

There are a good many photos in the album, the snapper was a dispatch rider ( and MM winner), looks like he kept an  unauthorised VPK tucked away. Some interesting shots of columns of POW's and battlefield devastation. 

T

ps

another 'must visit' for the next trip then.

Edited by caulkheader

Basil Hallam Radford was very well known at the time and popular with the troops. His death was widely reported in the newspapers of the day. Noted in one it states he was killed when his balloon broke loose, and he died due to his parachute failed to open.

He is mentioned in some previous threads regarding Knuts - he was the original "Knut with a K" ! Photo of his CWGC headstone is in this thread.

gilbert.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 27/10/2017 at 22:27, caulkheader said:

Thanks chaps.

I would have laid money that the first initial was 'H'. But it all seems to make sense.

There are a good many photos in the album, the snapper was a dispatch rider ( and MM winner), looks like he kept an  unauthorised VPK tucked away. Some interesting shots of columns of POW's and battlefield devastation. 

T

ps

another 'must visit' for the next trip then.

Hi Caulkheader,

If you have photos of the Montauban battlefield, I'd love to see them.  We have various shots of the devastation in the villade, but no much of the approaches.  The battlefield cemeteries are particularly interesting.

Tim

• 3 months later...