The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Another Romanian armoured car - WW1 or WW2?

Morar Andrei

I found another interesting image, but this time I don't know from which war it may be. It is surely an armoured car used by the Romanian divisions. Can I get some help?

bl.jpg

The armoured cars look like a mix between the Czechoslovakian inter-war (right) one and WW1 ones (left, which strangely looks like a Russian Hotchkiss Isorskie one).

• 2 months later...

Hallo Morar!

The vehicle on the right is a Renault Mle1915 Armoured Car. It was armed with a machine gun.  France supplied a number of these cars to the Czar's Imperial Army during WW1 .

... the drawing is a Model 1914.  The two in the photograph are 1915 models.

You say furst image is a Mle.1914, even if the pictures says it's a 1915. Now, I'm puzzeled. Here is another picture which the called a "Mle.1914":

5e4d0ef066c1b10d37abcfefa648a701.jpg

Hallo Morar!

I stand corrected; the top drawing is indeed a Renault Mle 1915.  I was fooled by the engine covers in the drawing.  I should have noted the radiator side armour affixed immediately aft of the bonnet.   My too-hasty ID caused the error.  (I thought at first it was a Peugeot !)

No problem! Here is another question: I think that the radiator side armour was somehow effective; why would they remove it? Was the engine overheating or it was easier to get to it in case it broke? I don't think there would be any other logic for removing the armour plates protecting it.

The bonnet was not removed.  The drawing does not convey the "slant" of the motor armor.   The traditional engine cover design of Renault was continued in an armoured variant. In as much as the radiator was positioned behind the motor, it needed as much air as possible.  Hence, the armoured louvers you see in the photograph, and the radiator side armour in the drawing.  It apparently served well for the Russians,  beside the English Austins.

• 2 weeks later...