The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Under The Devil's Eye: The British Military Experience in Macedonia 1915-1918

Crunchy

Under the Devil’s Eye: The British Military Experience in Macedonia 1915-1918. Alan Wakefield and Simon Moody. Pen & Sword, Barnsley, 2017. 264pp

First published in 2004, and again in 2011, this excellent book comprehensively addresses a much neglected campaign from the British perspective. In it Alan Wakefield and Simon Moody not only cover the British Army’s fighting on the Salonika Front chronologically from late 1915 until the end of 1918, they interweave it thematically to portray issues such as life in the front line and the rear areas, the provision of medical services, and the air war over Macedonia.  Throughout their narrative abundant quotes from participants, including their Bulgarian opponents, add a contemporary flavour, together with a real sense of what it was like to serve there. 

Well written, the story flows in an easy to follow style and holds the reader’s attention, without delving into too much detail. While this is not a study of the campaign itself, being very much focussed on the British experience, the authors’ thorough research from a wide range of primary and secondary sources provides readers with what must be the standard work on the British campaign in Macedonia during the Great War. 

A brief background on the political reasons for committing troops to the region sets the scene for the deployment of French and British forces into Salonika and the initial advance into Serbia, followed by defeat and retreat.  The failure of the Bulgarians to follow up and invade neutral Greece enabled the establishment of ‘The Birdcage’ defensive sector, before the Allies once again advanced to the Serbian border, around which the remainder of the campaign was fought sporadically over the next two and half years. Minor actions along the Struma Valley and the First  and Second Battles of Doiran are especially well covered with sufficient detail to follow the bloody and difficult fighting, while the chapters focussing on the thematic subjects provide a thorough study of the whole British experience and contribution during the campaign. Throughout the book good maps enable the reader to follow the action.

Perhaps the most intriguing issue, was the political situation in neutral Greece, torn as it was between a Pro-German monarch and a Pro- Ally prime minister, and from October 1916 having two rival governments until King Constantine abdicated and the country entered the war on the Allied side in June 1917. Until then, that the Allies were able to insist on the removal of Greek troops from key points, and operate unmolested for almost two years seems inconceivable today. 

Additionally, we are left in little doubt this was a campaign driven by the French, and their requirements largely dictated the British actions. While French demands  did not always accord with their British Ally, the way in which British politicians and commanders addressed them, especially Lieutenant General Milne’s  deft handling of demands and compromises with his aggressively minded French counterpart, provides an insight into how a junior partner in a coalition war can meet their own needs, yet placate and support those of their Ally.

Overall, this is a throughly rounded, comprehensive, well written and excellent study of the British experience during the Macedonian campaign. Highly recommended. 

Crunchy,

Your informed analysis elevates your review to sophisticated commentary rather than the more customary summary review.

The political reality of the coalition was the continual driver of the wider campaign in Macedonia, and you explain the

impact of this extremely well.  I have not yet read this book, but I have been dismayed by what I have read so far concerning

Milne's performance as officer commanding at the 2nd Battle of Doiran.  I will be interested in Wakefield & Moody's

presentation and conclusions about this particular battle.  Use of first-person accounts, as you indicate, imparts the

sense of being there and distinguishes this work as a model of contemporary military historiography.  As with your

previous review of Jack Sheldon's book, your review both informs us and engenders our interest in the subject. 

Best regards,

Josquin

Edited by josquin

Yes, a well written and helpful review. Tempted to get it...

Bernard

15 hours ago, josquin said:

Crunchy,

Your informed analysis elevates your review to sophisticated commentary rather than the more customary summary review. ...  As with your

previous review of Jack Sheldon's book, your review both informs us and engenders our interest in the subject. 

Best regards,

Josquin

Many thanks for your very kind words josquin. I try to give a concise summary, analysis and flavour of the books under review, without giving too much away. One owes it to the author and potential reader alike. Not all my reviews are a complimentary as evidenced in An Army of Brigadiers, but I try to be fair. Being a published author myself I know just how much work goes into a well researched book.

Cheers

Chris

• 1 month later...

Just ordered it out of my Christmas cash. 

Thanks, Crunchy!

Bernard