The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

20050 Pte Walter Stockdale

StAubyns

The only service information i have is rather vague to say the least.

From his MIC - Notts & Derby Regiment -enlisted 24/11/1914

discharged 18/07/18 awarded pension

Action Taken - List P/A/483

BWM & Victory Medal

From family chit chat -served in the Dardanelles 1915 & fought on the western front where he was gassesd which caused his dicharge from the army.

Does this point to the 9th Service Battalion Sherwood Foresters or would another unit fit the information?

Regards Geoff

Geoff

9th Service Battalion Sherwood Foresters was the only Btn of this regiment that served in the Dardanelles.

The only way to confirm your man served with this Btn is to view the medal rolls.

Regards Doug.

Thanks for that confirmation Doug.

I can now do some reading with purpose until I can get hold of the medal roll/service record (if it exists)

regards Geoff

Hi,

My grandfather served in the 9th Bn Sherwood Foresters. They landed at Sulva Bay Gallipoli on 7th August 1915.

On the 21st August they were involved in the attack on Chocolate Hill and Mehmet Char, in that attack my grandfather was wounded and subsequently evacuated.

When he joined up he was a resident of Milton Nottinghamshire, his father was in the 14th Bn Sherwood Foresters.

Good Luck

Rod

Hi Geoff,

If Walter served at Gallipoli in 1915, it is highly likely his MIC will show an entry date on it-unless he arrived very late on the campaign, any chance of posting the MIC?

Jim

Thanks for the input eagleye & jim

I have taken the bull by the horns and asked a reasearcher to find what they can at the PRO.

The strange thing about the MIC is that there are no dates for either France or Gallipoli that I can see. Another opinion would be very welcome though.

I think that the reference "List P/A/483" refers to a SWB and there is a BWM and Victory Medals awarded.

I will attach a scan of the MIC

Regards Geoff

post-1-1104313634.jpg

Guest Ian Bowbrick
I can now do some reading with purpose until I can get hold of the medal roll/service record (if it exists)

The medal rolls and SWB rolls exist and are held at the PRO.

Ian - I wasnt to clear in what I meant when I said (if it exists) I did mean to refer directly to his service record i.e the burnt records. Sorry if I did not make this clear.

I am not to sure what information I will get from the Medal & SWB rolls though - perhaps someone could enlighten me?

sorry for the confusion - all my fault

Regards Geoff