The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

‘Journal of an Edinburgh Mountaineer’

Neill Gilhooley

Hello,

I am aware that a fellow member of GWF has copy No. 3 of ‘Journal of an Edinburgh Mountaineer’, probably the diary of Maj Richard Henry Fitzherbert Moncrieff, 9th Royal Scots. I would very much like to see a copy for my history of the battalion, if anyone knows of one?

Incidentally the title probably refers to comments made by General Mangin, commanding the French Tenth Army at Soissons in 1918, to the "brave mountaineers of Edinburgh." 

Kind regards,

Neill

Pardon my complete ignorance on this- Is this a separately published work?  Of which another member has copy no 3?  If so, would you have any other publishing details of it- date, number of pages, where printed, etc?

Or is it in Issue No 3 of the Edinburgh University Mountaineering Club, which might be easier to locate?

Moncreiff was at Fettes - you might try their librarian and/or archivist?

I too am ignorant on this! It may have been privately published and only ran to a few copies, I can find no reference to it outside a search here in GWF. The title is certainly confusing, it is a Great War memoir I think.

1 minute ago, MBrockway said:

Moncreiff was at Fettes - you might try their librarian and/or archivist?

Good idea - thank you.

5 hours ago, Neill Gilhooley said:

I too am ignorant on this! It may have been privately published and only ran to a few copies, I can find no reference to it outside a search here in GWF. The title is certainly confusing, it is a Great War memoir I think.

Good idea - thank you.

Have you sent a PM to Woof (a.k.a. Barkalotloudly)? He has never struck me as unduly curmudgeonly- well, not outside the parameters set by the average GWF members. He does say it is typescript-which suggests no type of formal publication.

The Moncrieff family look the likeliest bet.

Was Moncrieff wounded at High Wood?????

Edited by Guest

The Moncrieff family look the likeliest bet.

Very sensible suggestion, I've not found a contemporary yet.

Was Moncrieff wounded at High Wood?????

Yes, wounded 1915 and at High Wood  23.7.16.

He was an interesting individual (for an accountant!) https://neillgilhooley.com/9th-royal-scots/index/