The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Would like a book title

Johnhenry1917

I am trying to find the title of a book that I borrowed from my local library probably about 25 years ago. The book was about men killed in the Great War who were leaders in their fields and the effect of their deaths on the future of their field. It dealt with, as I remember it, science, medicine, sport, literature.

I don't know for sure but I think it was not a new book when I read it. I have no idea what the title was like. I would dearly like to re-read the book if I can.

You should ask the library if you still live near it to check their records & maybe they have a record of such a book, maybe under biographies. I doubt they have your record of activity that far back but you never know what may turn up.

John

It will be The Lost Generation. It does focus on the loss of great potential in many fields of endeavour, especially in 1914 and 1915. On p. 244 Pound writes: 'Culture bearers of the European tradition were being extinguished every day; lamps that could never be lighted again.  Who could measure the loss to the civilised life of man by the destruction of so much refined mental energy, so many dedicated intelligences? On every field of battle there were casualties that devitalised the republics of learning and letters, the creative arts and crafts, constructive thought, the sanity of nations'.

If you are looking for something specific and can't get the book, I have it and can look up for you.

Mike

Thank you for that. I wasn't after a specific part, just wanted to read the book again.